Notices

Made myself ill again.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made myself ill again.

I finally stopped drinking this morning after starting yesterday at about 3pm. A bottle of vodka and half a bottle of scotch later and I feel like hell. I'm one step away from having a full blown panic attack. My hearting is thumping in my chest. I can't do this to myself anymore. I'm gonna make myself ill or worse.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome back. Glad you're gonna give it up. What's the non-drinking plan then? Do you have one or are you still considering the options?
Old 11-29-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know how I'm gonna do this, but it's got to stop. I think I'm depressed too. I need some help. I'm really disgusted with myself this time.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovery Padawan

Welcome back James

Have a read through the threads around the site here. There's plenty of good advice from what I've seen so far so it might help you to get a plan together.

Just concentrate on the here and now if you can. You're sober and posting on here which is a good place to start
Old 11-29-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by James18 View Post
I'm gonna make myself ill or worse.
You've already acommplished the first goal. You could make today be the day that you take action and prevent the second half from happening. It will be worse if you keep drinking, then only question is how much worse and how soon.

Have you considered detox? The extreme amounts you are drinking might warrant medical intervention.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Scott, I don't usually drink this much, I drink to get drunk but not been this bad in a while. I dont think I need detox but I'm struggling getting this amount out of my system.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think your best course of action for now is to stay home for a day or two if possible. You're probably not in the best shape to be out in public and if you stay in you won't be tempted to buy more booze. Once you sober up then you can take a look at yourself and go from there.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome back James.

Please don't hesitate to seek medical help,withdrawing from Alcohol can be dangerous.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I hope you feel better soon. It's good that you've posted x
Old 11-29-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Until I stopped drinking it was certain that each bottom was a little lower. I said many a fox hole prayer after some consequence of my drinking. Then I would start feeling better and alcohol would convience me it was not that bad and the hell would start over.

The first step is deciding that you're going to stop drinking the second step is deciding on how you're going to do that
Old 11-29-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Scott, I don't usually drink this much, I drink to get drunk but not been this bad in a while. I dont think I need detox but I'm struggling getting this amount out of my system.
Alcoholism is progressive James. Who knows how much you'll drink next time. The one certainty is that it will be more than you intend to.

Do you have any thoughts as to what you might do today to start making thing better? There are a lot of people here that have done a lot of different things to quit...why not bounce some ideas off us?
Old 11-29-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

James, drink all the water you can stand and try to flush this out of your system. I'm just on day five now and I felt just like you when I woke up Monday of this week. I was so disgusted with myself for the amount I drank. I woke up and said there has to be more to life than blacking out. Every day has been a struggle, but I'm more determined now than ever. Night sweats were much less last night and I keep drinking all the water I can to get this poison out of my system. Today my body feels so much better and I know I have a long way to go. I know my body needs a break and only I can make this choice. I am taking it one day at a time but I know I want this to be over for good. Hang in there.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Not to hijack the thread, but drinking just water is actually not the best thing to do. Alcohol also takes important electrolytes, vitamins and minerals out of our system in addition to dehydrating us. When I detoxed (in the hospital) I got an IV to take care of the mineral/vitamin issue, and they recommended Gatorade or fruit juice to drink.

This is one more reason why detox should ideally be medically monitored. If you think "oh, its just a bad hangover", well a hangover IS your body detoxing/withdrawing. If it gets bad enough, go see a Dr.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I don't know how I'm gonna do this, but it's got to stop. I think I'm depressed too. I need some help. I'm really disgusted with myself this time.
There are numerous paths to recovery, and many of them are addressed on this forum. Recommend you read around to see which path you think will be a good fit for you and then make a plan to pursue it. If your plan involves getting outside help, don't wait. Go after it.

Addiction is a tough SOB, but you can beat it. Good Luck!
Old 11-29-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Alcoholism is progressive James. Who knows how much you'll drink next time. The one certainty is that it will be more than you intend to.

Do you have any thoughts as to what you might do today to start making thing better? There are a lot of people here that have done a lot of different things to quit...why not bounce some ideas off us?
I'm not really sure which way to approach quitting...I know one thing and that's I'm not having a drink tomorrow - today has been bloody awful from the moment I put the bottle down (and in truth since I picked it up yesterday). That is where I'm going to start by not drinking tmrw. Other than that I'm unsure. I'm gonna go shopping and cook a meal for me/my oh and have a quiet, chaos free evening!
Old 11-29-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi James;
Cooking a good meal is an excellent idea.
You will need a plan pretty quickly however, or you AV (addictive voice) will soon be speaking up and telling you it wasn't so bad, and you need "just one or two" to feel better, and so on.

Perhaps look at the stickys for 12 step and secular recovery info on the site would be a good idea, as someone else mentioned.

I told myself I was quitting a hundred times or more before I actually did it, and that was because I didn't have a clear plan in place for dealing with cravings and stress.

You can do this!
Old 11-29-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Smile

Could someone tell me what a plan looks like? I have resolved to quit drinking for good but am unsure what to do when i crave a glass of wine. Would love some examples.

Hang in there James. I am only on day 7 but dont want to forget how terrible i felt last friday. It was really bad. Tomorrow is a new day!
Old 11-29-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heath480 View Post
Welcome back James.

Please don't hesitate to seek medical help,withdrawing from Alcohol can be dangerous.
yes
Old 11-29-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

My plan is just a collection of little ideas that have popped into my head over the years. With the fancying one little glass thing, it took me decades, but eventually the penny dropped that it wouldn't ever be just one. I know you've probably heard that time and time again but it is the simple little things. I know it's hard but the craving will go away one day.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heath480 View Post
Welcome back James.

Well I'm through it and won't be going there again. It did not feel good. I'm still shaky but the worst of it has passed. I think if i'd drank any more I'd have been in trouble. It was the worst of a week's worth of drinking. Wake up call.