Notices

Made myself ill again.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
AlmA

James,

It is never too late to start living... instead of sleeping through life.

you can either make an effort and get through it... start enjoying life.
or go to worse and worse... missing life.

You are achieving nothing getting drunk...
Stop hiding behind a bottle...

Glad you chose to stop!!!

Please Keep away until you are strong enough!!!
you can do it!!!
Old 11-29-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Most of us have been there.......... unfortunately. The last time I quit went through days of hell. Best for me to KEEP MOVING and keep hydrated. It does get worse each time............. I can testify to that. I relapsed after a detox trip (stayed sober for 3 weeks after detox) swore I'd NEVER drink again. This last time it has been 90 days almost since my last drink of alcohol, and yet sometimes I seem to forget how bad it was. That's why I come to SR and go to meetings. Alcoholism is a chronic disease - not acute. Requires chronic treatment. Glad your here - keep coming back
Old 11-29-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi James

I think you need to accept this way just isn't working.
Look at your options and pick one whether it be rehab, or recovery groups or what.

Too much thinking time is a luxury not all of us have. I really think you need to move into the action stage.

D
Old 11-29-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hang in there, James18. I agree with those who have suggested some sort of plan once you start feeling better. I'm only on day 9, but I could not have got this far (which really isn't much) if I did not have a plan, daily and sometimes hourly. That alcoholic voice can be a sneaky litter f-er once we think we are feeling better. I remember once, waking up around 3 in the afternoon in a park near my house. As I slept, I had lost control of all bodily functions, and I had no idea how I got there. It took me two days to recover, and I swore up and down that I was done. I told all my friends I was finished. I even wrote "never again" on a piece of paper and hung it on my wall. On the night of the 3rd day, I had convinced myself that it wasn't that bad, that such a bender would never happen again and I could handle a drink or two: I got creamed that night. I'm not saying you will do this at all, but I'm just sharing how sneaky the alcoholic voice can be if we don't pay attention to it and plan how we are going to handle it. Stay strong. You can do this.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by newme2day View Post
Could someone tell me what a plan looks like?
It could be something simple, such as "next time I get a craving I am going to:
- meditate
- try urge surfing
- pray
- call my sponsor (if you have one)
- build a bird house
- go for a run
etc.

Or your plan could be a more complex approach to the total problem, not just the next craving
- joining AA
- getting into rehab
- getting a therapist
- practice AVRT / RR

Those lists are BY NO MEANS complete, just some examples I have used or read about other people here using.

Many of us find it helpful to know what actions we are going to take when that voice starts telling us "one more time won't matter, it will be OK this time, we'll be more careful this time..."

Being proactive and making some sort of plan seems to garner more success than being reactive when that craving hits.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Librium

Hello James,
I'm sober since February 19th, 2012. My last binge was similar to yours, I probably pinned around 6 or 7 bottles of vodka over a 3 or 4 day period. I'd been drinking since age 12 and was then 42. That last one involved some serious withdrawals, I've had sleep disturbance, night sweats, palpitations, everything I thought, until that last one, it was the worst - hallucinations, formication I think it's called. Horrific. My point is this, I didn't have ready access to medical help but I think you should have your withdrawals managed, and at least moderated, they usually prescribe Librium or such like. Those pangs can get dangerous. Love to you and your struggle brother.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:11 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I definitely need a plan and some outside help. I'll concentrate on getting through thre weekend and maybe st start with the doctor's on Monday. Thanks Box. I'm through the worst of it, hopefully. If I go through the withdrawals again I'll get some medical advice - hopefully I won't have to.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:15 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Don't forget James, you can always phone 111 or go to your local NHS walk-in centre over the weekend if you want Xx
Old 11-30-2013, 01:21 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Yeah, thanks Skye I hadn't considered that. Hopefully I won't need to. Other than the worst night's sleep ever, I feel more or less back to normal other than feeling like I just woke up from surgery!
Old 11-30-2013, 01:24 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

James, you're doing great. Noticing what has to be done.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:26 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Well my brain is already telling me that the last couple of days weren't that bad. It's already gearing up for another bender which it's not going to get!
Old 11-30-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Funny how the brain does that--no matter how horrible and degrading you may end up,
it still finds reasons to do it all again.

That's one of the best things about being sober for me these days--that voice has mostly given up as it sees I am not buying in anymore. Be strong and it will go away.
Hope you are feeling better this morning. Doctor is a good idea.