Notices

Naive of me

Old 11-30-2013, 04:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Phew , thanks Dee ;-)

Just curious say you knowingly ate something that was cooked in wine ..or used it to cook ...is this technically a relapse or cheating ? ...I've never really thought about it before ?

Not that i cook with wine , but i do have a favourite recipe that uses red wine in the sauce ....thoughts
Old 11-30-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've always held it has to be intentional for a relapse to occur, so accidental things, or things eaten in ignorance, I wouldn't worry about.

Knowingly eating stuff? that would be up to each of us individually as to whether it was a relapse or not

D
Old 11-30-2013, 04:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I've eaten things in red wine sauces before and i don't feel like a "cheat" or in danger of a relapse .

m
Old 11-30-2013, 04:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Old 11-30-2013, 04:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Magsie

It wasn't the temptation I was worried about, Skye, more like having alcohol unwittingly. Just gotta be careful when I buy food, even.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Would having it unwittingly trigger you? I don't understand to be honest hun I have mouthwash here with alcohol in it and I don't consider it a problem - it doesn't trigger me to want to drink.
I only use it if I have toothache and I obviously don't swallow the stuff. I don't have a problem with that as i'm not using it to get 'high' or drunk or whatever. I don't 'do' pain very well so if it means swilling my mouth with something that takes that away, then i'm cool with it
Old 11-30-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's a range of responses on this. I think each of us has to work out where we stand.

Someone who believes they're allergic to alcohol will be more stringent than someone who doesn't see alcohol in food as a big deal.

I sit somewhere in the middle - I do think about what I'm eating, I don't use alcohol in my own cooking and I do even consider mouthwashes and buy non alc when I can.

That's what it takes for me to feel comfortable.

D
Old 11-30-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Magsie

I'm probably trying too hard, I don't want to give myself any excuse to slip. My head says no but as you know, it's all around us. I'm determined I will not drink.

After mulling about baileys ice cream yesterday I dreamt last night that I went drinking, secretly, and a lot of it, hoping no one would find out.

So glad this morning it was a dream!
Old 11-30-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Skye2 View Post
Again, it wouldn't trigger me. If it's not in a glass and wiggling it's finger at me, i'm honestly not tempted Xx
Same for me. I never even think of how things or cooked or using vanilla extract, etc... thus far it's not a trigger.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

personally, I don't see flavoring or cooking as relapse- you're not intentionally abusing a substance to obtain a mind altering affect.

However, if it is a trigger, then yes very important to stay away from such liquids!
Old 11-30-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

I got this about Listerine out of Wikipedia. If those numbers are correct, then a bottle of Listerine per volume has more alcohol than a bottle of beer per volume.

Composition
The active ingredients listed on Listerine bottles are essential oils menthol 0.042%, thymol 0.064%, methyl salicylate 0.06%, and eucalyptol 0.092%. In combination all have an antiseptic effect and there is some thought that methyl salicylate may have an anti inflammatory effect as well[citation needed]. Ethanol, which is toxic to bacteria at concentrations of 40%, is present in concentrations of 21.6% in the flavored product and 26.9% in the original gold Listerine Antiseptic[citation needed]. At this concentration, the ethanol serves to dissolve the active ingredients.[citation needed]
Old 11-30-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

This reminds me of when I freaked out when I found out my favourite ginger beer brand that I'd been drinking a lot during my sobriety contained 0.3% alcohol. I'm now always extra alert to check labels on food and drink products. Apparently though, orange juice containers something like0.1-0.2% of natural alcohol... Not to scare anyone from orange juice I'm sure your body processes the alcohol before any of it can be absorbed at that amount....
Old 11-30-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thought this might be of interest.

Questions and Answers - Alcohol Burn Off in Cooking, Alcohol Evaporation In Cooking, Does Alcohol Burn Off During Cooking?