Notices

Thursday quit

Old 11-25-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thursday quit

Hi,
Every week I tell myself I will taper down then use the weekend to detox, but when the weekend comes it seems even harder. I really would prefer not to be withdrawing at work, but it seems that when I have all that free time at the start it doesn't happen.

Not only that I have an anxiety disorder that gets me all hypo about withdrawl because of everything I read. But at this point, I don't have a choice. After quitting smoking 8 months ago my drinking became a big problem again. I'm back to about a bottle of wine a night, more on weekends.

I have gained about 30 pounds in the last 8 months that tends to keep me in my anxiety and depression and the cycle going. I drink a depressant, get depressed, do it all again.

Anyways I'm back. I always swore I wouldn't be at this point again but here I am. Tomorrow will be my first night alcohol free and I will just have to take it from there if I have any withdrawals. As much as I hope I don't, I know I will have mild to moderate from past experience.

Thanks for listening,
Vanilla28
Old 11-25-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck to you!!!!
Old 11-25-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes Vanilla

any plans yet on how to make this time different?

D
Old 11-25-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good Luck Vanilla. I am on my first day not drinking and its not pretty I don't feel well and have lots of guilt for things I've done drunk. At least I am sober today.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Cristinaad

D
Old 11-25-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Vannilla28 all the best in beginning your sober journey again. I checked into a hospital run De-tox. Have you considered this route? Just something to consider, it can be dangerous and deadly doing it on your own. Bobbi
Old 11-25-2013, 09:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! It is appreciated!
Christinaad, are u working during this time ?
Barbieken, I did a med detox a couple years ago the first time I quit. I wasn't working at the time tho so I didn't have to worry about anything. I would drc go the same route again but I just can't miss work and have rent to pay etc.
A select few ppl know I'm quiting tho so they will be my support did the time period, a east til I'm thru the detox period.
My anxiety is what gets me every time. What if, what if, what if etc.
Thanks everyone for the support!
Old 11-25-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Unless you experience severe withdrawal symptoms, it is possible to go cold turkey from booze while doing your daily stuff -- work, etc. It all depends what feelings you experience and how much you can handle. I did do it.

I was amazed at how many withdrawal symptoms I did have and (worse) how long they lasted. The hardest for me was what is called "brain fog." I'd go into some kind of idiot mode and could hardly talk at times, let alone think or remember. I'd make stupid errors. It was especially bad because this was during a time when I was on a brand new job and supposed to be learning. And learning was really really hard. I did somehow make it through that time and nothing bad happened. I just had to take it one day at a time and work through the withdrawal feelings as they came up. No one there knew I was detoxing.

Whether to check into a substance abuse facility or go it alone is an individual decision you have to make based on what you think you can handle and what kinds of physical symptoms you may experience.

Going into a detox program can be COSTLY. If you decide to go this route then make sure that you fully understand what your insurance plan will cover and what your costs will be. Don't just impulsively do it or let a well meaning doctor direct you to his/her favorite facility without making sure you know the costs you are getting in for. I already know how much they cost and I didn't want to pay that price. In my opinion, that is one of the worst punishments that addicts inflict on themselves -- the financial cost of getting straight.

On the other hand if your withdrawal symptoms are severe, it may be the best choice you could make to go into supervised medical care. Just, like I said, check out the costs so you don't get a rude shock on your discharge. The bills I have seen could send the strongest and most resilient person back to booze in a heartbeat. Know what you are doing and what your options are and you will be fine.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vanilla28 View Post
Christinaad, are u working during this time ?
No I'm not , but I am in college full time and have a five year old son with autism. Are you working?
Old 11-26-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

My last home detox was bad, so I have no hesitation at all in suggesting you at least see your Dr - there really are more important things than money, and good health is one of them IMO.

D
Old 11-26-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I couldn't have done it that way around, I found that going sober at the start of the week easier to sustain, don't get me wrong though as it was still tough, but keeping my mind off it at work for 5 weekdays, which basically I got home from and was soon in bed due to tiredness, as I wasn't sleeping much, it meant a week sober was chalked up before I hit the weekend and the huge temptation of drinking with having soo much free time . . . might be worth a try!!

Though with severe withdrawal symptoms it may be a non starter, as mentioned above, always check with doctors if withdrawal is going to be dangerous to your health!
Old 11-26-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So how's it going? Sure are a lot of people around here that are "tapering". Quite a few others are "going to quit tomorrow". What about you? Have you been drinking today?

If so, that's too bad. If not, I sure hope you are being careful. Many of us have had terrible withdrawals and been in hospital for them. Perhaps just "deciding to quit at home" isn't for you. Perhaps a trip to detox is in order? This is not a game.

Good luck.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hope you're doing ok today Vanilla. You never have to go through this again, thankfully.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope this can be your last day one.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good luck
Old 11-28-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi all. Thank u for all the responses. As stated in my original post, today is my quit day. I was home alone after work and started to feel really anxious and heart racing, it was more from the anxiety of the task at hand I guess because I came to my parents and now am feeling not so anxious. So far so good. Still super nervous with fears and stuff. But I'll be happy to be able to wake up tomorrow and say I didn't drink. Hopefully I won't have too bad if a sleep.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

When I was playing around with quitting I always found it easier to stay sober and not drink during the work week. My time then is far more structured and I have responsibilities to attend to. Weekends were the hardest because I had "free" time on my hands though with young kids there isn't actually much free time.

I found it best to make plans, plans and more plans that didn't involve alcohol for the weekend so that I would focus on something else and tire myself out.

I also get/got horrible anxiety when withdrawing. To the point that I could barely walk for fear of falling down. I pushed through it. If you are concerned, and it sounds as if you are, see your doctor and be completely honest about how much you drink, for how long, and what happens when you stop. I found it extremely liberating to do this.

I first got sober in in patient detox and my doctor was coincidentally the attending physician on the day I ws admitted. I stayed sober ten months plus a few days and relapsed. I have stopped again but about a month before I did I went to see the doctor, threw myself on her mercy, was completely honest about what was going on and she prescribed a couple of things to help me through the initial withdrawal. It has helped a lot. I did not do in patient this time. I had anxiety in the beginning but every day has gotten better and the only time I have anxiety is when I am tired or hungry or have had too much caffeine.

Plus, if you feel safe and secure at your parents house and can stay there for a bit, I would ask them if you can stay. I always feel,safer at my parents house. I can relax there and know that I can't drink there. It is a haven.

Good luck. Quitting isn't easy. Anxiety doesn't make it any easier. But you probably know that the fear of anxiety can ramp up the anxiety. You can do it!