Notices

YOU are the Light at the end of the tunnel.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

YOU are the Light at the end of the tunnel.

It's a day of giving thanks here in the U.S. A day to count your blessings, and to bow your head and hug loved ones from near and far. Filled with too much food, and unfortunately far too many expectations.

For many, (present company once included) today is also a day filled with profound loneliness, depression and anxiety as it commences the beginning of the holiday season (which brings with it a whole host of panic and fear and debt).

Always being bombarded by the media messages that unless it's Norman Rockwellesque, it will fall short of yours and everyone's else expectations.

Inevitably.

Invariably, due to our lack of ability to find perfection in every hung decoration and gift, we will all spontaneously combust into a heap of crumpled receipts, green bean casserole and broken ornaments.

Holiday's. Meh. Overrated.

Unless they are not....

In the past, I drank because there was always some void I was trying to fill during this time of year because, damn it, I just wasn't enough. It wasn't enough. The holidays evoked such a sense of panic in me as I tried, in vein, to make it what it simply wasn't. For everyone. I exhausted myself trying to create the snow globe of merriment. And I was flaking M.i.s.e.r.a.b.l.e.
Lonely beyond lonely. Stressed beyond stressed. And sad. So so SO SAD. I missed my sister. I missed my daddy. I was forever aching for what once was. And that validated me drinking myself right into a coma. Throughout this entire upcoming month. Emotional Cart Blanche.

But this year, it's going to be different. And the only thing that has changed is me. My attitude and perception going into it this year is pretty much "Come what may".

I am SO excited to have finally shown up for myself that burnt turkey and inter familial battles and strands of lights that aren't lighting mean absolutely nothing to me this year. Bring it. I could honestly care less.

Today is going to be magical. I'm going to wrap my arms around those that I still get to, get on my knees in gratitude for the loves I was lucky enough to once have, and see the wonder in every moment. In everyone's eyes. Who are also looking to fill that emptiness.

Blessings to you my SR family. This year, I am the most grateful for all of you.

XO AO
Old 11-28-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
It's a day of giving thanks here in the U.S. A day to count your blessings, and to bow your head and hug loved ones from near and far. Filled with too much food, and unfortunately far too many expectations.

For many, (present company once included) today is also a day filled with profound loneliness, depression and anxiety as it commences the beginning of the holiday season (which brings with it a whole host of panic and fear and debt).

Always being bombarded by the media messages that unless it's Norman Rockwellesque, it will fall short of yours and everyone's else expectations.

Inevitably.

Invariably, due to our lack of ability to find perfection in every hung decoration and gift, we will all spontaneously combust into a heap of crumpled receipts, green bean casserole and broken ornaments.

Holiday's Meh. Overrated.

Unless they are not....

In the past, I drank because there was always some void I was trying to fill during this time of year because, damn it, I just wasn't enough. It wasn't enough. The holidays evoked such a sense of panic in me as I tried, in vein, to make it what it simply wasn't. For everyone. I exhausted myself trying to create the snow globe of merriment. And I was flaking M.i.s.e.r.a.b.l.e.
Lonely beyond lonely. Stressed beyond stressed. And sad. So so SO SAD.

But this year, it's going to be different. And the only thing that has changed is me. My attitude and perception going into it this hear is pretty much "Come what may".

I am SO excited to have finally shown up for myself that burnt turkey and inter familial battles and strands of lights that aren't lighting mean absolutely nothing to me this year. Bring it. I could honestly care less.

Today is going to be magical. I'm going to wrap my arms around those that I still get to, get on my knees in gratitude for the loves I was lucky enough to once have, and see the wonder in every moment. In everyone's eyes. Who are also looking to fill that emptiness.

Blessings to you my SR family. This year, I am the most grateful for all of you.

XO AO
Oh don't remind me of burned turkeys! Happy Thanksgiving xx
Old 11-28-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Alphaomega, FANTASTIC. Enjoy your day.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Beautiful post, AO. Happy Thanksgiving to all, both in the US and abroad! Today I am very grateful for you all that make up the SR community.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Everyone is so nice here, unlike many internet groups of all descriptions and facebook etc. It makes me feel all warm inside. I honestly believe that recovering/recovered alcoholics, whatever you want to call yourselves, are really good people. Perhaps that's why we once felt we couldn't fit in very well with the big old bad world. Just a thought happy times!
Old 11-28-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Rad (California word) post, alphaomega. Thanks so much for posting. I need a lot of these kinds of thought today. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used to hate holidays - a chore to be around the extended family Thanksgiving and Christmas - A useless tradition that I would drink away into oblivion and then the fights that would erupt.

I am thrilled to head into the Holidays sober. I look forward to the family gathering today.
I am fully in the Christmas spirit this year - bought LED Candles for all the windows at Luminira Candles, wreaths for all the windows on the house (needs a separate mortgage for this), two trees one with a train underneath…as I write this maybe I am trading addictions, lol. Anyhow, I am enjoying living in the moment and being present in my family's lives' and none it would have been possible without the changes made in August.

I am thankful for what I have and hope to achieve.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This post is very touching and meaningful for me. I, too, get depressed around the holidays because I don't feel anything I do or give is "good enough". Just bought a house last year and am, sadly, fairly broke this year. Told my family they are getting homemade baked goods and small gifts. But they are all OK with that.

So instead of drowning in booze and feeling sorry for my broke self, I am going to give thanks that I have a nice, warm home to live in. Family that is forgiving, understanding, healthy and loving. We have gotten so far away from the TRUE meaning of the holidays. This year, I'm also giving everyone (including myself) the gift of a sober LindaLou!

Happy Thanksgiving to all my SR family!
Old 11-28-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LindaLou View Post
This post is very touching and meaningful for me. I, too, get depressed around the holidays because I don't feel anything I do or give is "good enough". Just bought a house last year and am, sadly, fairly broke this year. Told my family they are getting homemade baked goods and small gifts. But they are all OK with that.

So instead of drowning in booze and feeling sorry for my broke self, I am going to give thanks that I have a nice, warm home to live in. Family that is forgiving, understanding, healthy and loving. We have gotten so far away from the TRUE meaning of the holidays. This year, I'm also giving everyone (including myself) the gift of a sober LindaLou!

Happy Thanksgiving to all my SR family!

I gave my wife a car for Christmas a few years ago but I was not a good husband. My guess is she likes the smaller more thoughtful gift of myself this year. I used to substitute money for thought…this was deluded thinking.

I am sure your family is proud of you and enjoys the sober you which is the best gift you could possible give yourself and others.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Beautiful post AO. Just popped around to say it. Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving to all and God bless...
Old 11-28-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
LDT

This isn't my first sober Thanksgiving . But it IS my first sober Thanksgiving where everyone else around me was/is sober as well.... What a fantastically relaxed, fun couple of days it has been .... I've eaten too much glorious food, but will trade that any day for booze

Grateful
Old 11-28-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Have a blessed day. I enjoyed your post. Puts things into perspective. Thanks...
Old 11-28-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I thought I would dread today...last year during today I was miserable and hung over.

It is perfectly lovely being sober.....I simply can't believe it.

AO, you are one of the many things I am grateful for today, Happy Thanksgiving friend .

(How the heck did you find time to post when you are hosting 25????????)
Old 11-28-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
EndGame

A nice, thoughtful post, alpha.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
I thought I would dread today...last year during today I was miserable and hung over.

(How the heck did you find time to post when you are hosting 25????????)
Oh Sugar - Im not "cooking" I'm just hosting. Taking everyone out for a feast at our club.

Perhaps old JD will take a third mortgage out to help me cover the cost ?

Huh ? Buddy ole pal ?