Notices

********?

Old 11-27-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

if your such a man then man up and kick the drugs
Old 11-27-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
quat

Make new choices and heed number 7, the metaphor of a the beast in AVRT is to isolate thinking of the addict
Old 11-27-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You need to learn that once you choose the first drink, pill, toke, shot, you have no control Thor. That's the nature of addiction. Support means learning and TAKING ACTION to follow a recovery method so you learn to live your life in such a way that you don't want or need to take that first drink. You also learn how to live your life and enjoy it without drugs. That might be AA, NA, AVRT, counseling, detox, or a combination of all the above.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thorsapprentice View Post
I read. I learn. Why can't I stop? I am in control of
every other aspect of my life.
No your are not.

People that flee from reality to drugs or booze are not in control of their lives.

Could be you are paying your bills, sending Christmas cards to family and remember to pick up your kids from pre-school.

That is not to be in control it is about being good at pretending everything is ok.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

I am not a fool. I know both words, ambivalence and addiction (and their meanings). I agree with avrt? In its simplest terms. But I am not a victim of my 'beast'. I chose this path. No animal instinct. No monotheistic god. No fate. No karma. Just choice.
Yeah, I hear you...

And yet, the addiction persists in your life. Certainly you did not choose to be dealing with these kind of consequences? Something went wrong somewhere?

If the buck stops with you, Thor, then make it so in ways that end the addiction. If you can't make that action a reality that sustains itself, then it may be time to re-visit your choices.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thatslife: When did I say I'm 'Such A Man'?
Soberhawk: you're derision is neither helpful or relevant.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Being somewhat angry with those who are being helpful wont help YOU. Of course, its your call on what is helpful. And your call on if your being angry or not.

# 28 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Thorsapprentice
I am not a victim of my 'beast'. I chose this path.
Originally Posted by Thorsapprentice
Trapped now.
What has you trapped? If it's not the addict living in your head (a.k.a.'beast') what is victimizing you with this entrapment?
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There are a lot of posts with very helpful and relevant info in this thread on the other hand. It would be of benefit to you to pay heed to them rather than being argumentative.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Angry? No
Old 11-27-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Angry? No
Really?

Then, how would you describe your emotional stance in this thread?
Old 11-27-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Why are you being so hostile, thorsapprentice? We are only trying to help, but you seem to take offense at pretty much anything said. Like Skye said, we really are on your side here.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
learning

Hey Thor,

I get the whole coming here and arguing with folks thing. I really do. Look at my profile and check out my early posts. I did exactly what you are doing right now.

I am a different guy now, free from the problems you say you have.

One of the things that was important to get me there was to stop looking for what I disagree with when people reply to me. And to start opening up to what they are trying to tell me.

There is help and support here my friend. You just have to open up to it.

I truly hope you find the peace you are looking for.

Be well
Old 11-27-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Sorry. Meant no disrespect. Not arguing, discussing, debating or anything else. I believe I misinterpreted a post and responded in an inappropriate way. Accusations of aggression on my part are unfounded and ridiculous. Why would I attempt contact with you guys and then be belligerent?
Old 11-27-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Sorry. Meant no disrespect. Not arguing, discussing, debating or anything else. I believe I misinterpreted a post and responded in an inappropriate way. Accusations of aggression on my part are unfounded and ridiculous. Why would I attempt contact with you guys and then be belligerent?
None taken.

We get emotional when we are quitting addiction, goes without saying. We also get somewhat defensive, and vulnerable too.

Welcome to SR, Thor. I've read up on your other threads. Looks like your careful with your words. That is helpful on an online forum. You have a lot to offer others as you continue to stay quit and share your experiences. We don't always all agree with each other about everything, but no matter, we all are on the same side.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Are you bored and just trying to ruffle feathers here? Cause I can think of another place that's productive like FB. Here at SR we like to give/receive support. We welcome each other with open arms and " support" each other along our journeys!

I wish you all the best
Old 11-27-2013, 07:14 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
learning

Good deal Thor.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I truly don't know how I've upset you guys, but I'm sorry. If I've caused you undue duress, please accept my sincere apologies. What's happened has happened. Whatever it is I can't undo it, so again, sorry. For the record I'm neither troll or **** stirrer
Old 11-27-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hi welcome Thorsapprentice.
You can involve yourself in a lot of questions, the why's, the why nots, choice, no choice. But, you can also make it simple. If you think you have a problem, if you can't stop using, then make your choice. Do you want to quit?

If so, then it's a good idea to roll up your sleeves and get to work. Because recovery is a lot of work. People have mentioned support. Look at some programs, look at support groups, find outpatient or inpatient care. Make a doctor appointment. Look on the internet for NA groups that meet near you. Start reading some recovery literature. Go online and listen to recovery speakers.
All the time you spend using you can spend an equal amount of time or more recovering.
Best of luck to you.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hey Thor we are a very forgiving group welcome again. I hope we can be of help, there's lots of people in your thread. Most post take days to accumulate 3 pages! If your ready to go sober why not join the november class.