Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Weekend Thread! Holiday Edition! Stay sober through "T" day here!

Notices

Weekend Thread! Holiday Edition! Stay sober through "T" day here!

Old 11-28-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving SR. This year I am definitely thankful for my sobriety, that I am alive and have somewhere to go. I may try to make a meeting tonight if there are any available? Other than that I hope to meet new people and continue to try some new things in sobriety. Thank God for family, health, sponsorship and AA.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone stateside, over the pond, down under, and everywhere else!

I didn't go home this year and feel relieved to be away from the family festivities (kind of feel guilty for saying that but oh well, they won't read this). I'm headed to my neighbor's later on for dinner and then will enjoy a quiet night of no drinking. Woohoo.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey y'all ,
Hows everyone going ? It's 17:00 here in the UK so i guess midday on the east of the USA

Nice to see people coming past so congratulations to this who've made it to the halfway point in the eastern USA …
If your drinking are you sure you want to be doing that ? tip the drink down the sink and poor a big coffee and come sit at the SR table , post a thread , get support …

Fear, shame and worry are best frightened away by truth and compassion i recon …

Bestwishes, m
Old 11-28-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

L2H, that's a riot about only seeing one target! Congratulations on your win!

How cool that there's a dog show on today! While the men are downstairs mesmerized by college football and the matriarchs are preening in the kitchen, I'll be studying and watching a dog show!

Newsflash: my husband just saw a bunch of turkeys in the yard! He could easily shoot one--but he won't, because it's a nuisance to pluck and gut, plus we've already got three other turkeys. Still sounds like a waste of a delicious opportunity!
Old 11-28-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Alas, my husband couldn't resist! He shot one for my brother-in-law! All the kids are excited now.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! I'm so thankful for my sobriety!
Old 11-28-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Everyone enjoy their Thanksgiving. I'm doing a very non-traditional Thanksgiving. Working a twelve hour day, and having Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes for the main meal of the day. But one thing I will do. I will stay sober! Good luck everyone.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Yes please everyone enjoy this very special day! Rootin for everyone.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey SnowDog ,
Keep on truckin'

Bestwishes, m
Old 11-28-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Just saw that pict of Grumpy which makes her look like she is being carted off to the guillotine and I could not resist making a meme
Old 11-28-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

My AV is putting up a fight today. I'm sure you can imagine what it's saying. Trying to stay strong. I already told my in-laws I'm not drinking. I didn't offer any reasoning, I just said that I'm not drinking, thanks, when they asked what kind of wine I want. Huge step, but I'm fiending now.....must stay strong.

Day 3
Old 11-28-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Back at home after a really nice dinner with my parents. Gave the dog a bath, in my jammies and watching football on tv. Being home tonight is a good thing as too many people will be out and about tonight as they have a long weekend away from work and I want no part of their decision-making. That is the old thinking that got me drunk. My new thinking may not be as exciting but it will have to do for now. Sobriety is about making the next right decision. Hope everyone is finding a little slice of peace and serenity tonight.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
My AV is putting up a fight today. I'm sure you can imagine what it's saying. Trying to stay strong. I already told my in-laws I'm not drinking. I didn't offer any reasoning, I just said that I'm not drinking, thanks, when they asked what kind of wine I want. Huge step, but I'm fiending now.....must stay strong.

Day 3
Remember to stick a thread out there if you need full on SR support amandaw also some good reading on Dees' CarolD thread , the thanksgiving (and xmas) survival guide
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...val-guide.html

Stay with it, only a few more hours to go ,

Bestwishes , m
Old 11-28-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Hope everyone is enjoying themselves. I was just saying in my class thread that I imagine lunch is now over for the east coast people and others will be sitting down to it. I read last night that an impulse lasts for 13 minutes, I don't know if this applies to cravings but I suspect it does. Hang in there, SR is right here.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

I did a full thread mecanix and I indeed get lots of support.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

My father-in-law arrived with 9 bottles of wine.

No real urge to drink it, but that caught me a bit off guard. Last time I was in a similar situation - company came for a few days and drank while they were here - I was fine...

...until they left. Then I listened to my AV when it told me I had earned some drinking for not drinking with the guests.

PFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTT!!!! Not falling for that again!

Keep strong fellow Soberites!
Old 11-28-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

I'm toying with the idea of walking down the street to Seven-Eleven and buying a couple tall boys of Budweiser. I'm not doing anything with my family this year. And I don't have any friends to spend it with either, so I am feeling pretty damn lonely right about now. I know that I shouldn't get the beer though. I'm 3 days sober. I keep thinking, if I get some beers, I'll feel really really good! But...but...agh! Why shouldn't I go an buy beer?! Because I do REALLY dumb stuff that I regret when I drink, because it's bad for my body, because it's deadening, because if I get some today, what will stop me from getting some tomorrow? ARGH!

An inner dialogue of my thoughts more or less.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Don't do it sholtokiwi! Let's get through day 3 together. When I feel lonely and I try filling the void with alcohol, I end up going back for more then more then more and I hate myself in the morning! Idk if you do the same, but you're trying to quit for a reason! You can do it!
Old 11-28-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya count me in, happy sober holidays, first sober one for me. I, like Skye am in uk and we don't have thanksgiving, but when I was drinking, any excuse would do. Here's to bring sober over the holidays x
Old 11-28-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

sholtokiwi, from personal experience, the booze won't make you feel less lonely. They don't call it a depressant for nothing. I fell in to that trap so many times. A few fleeting hours of being buzzed, then a whole day of mental and physical misery.

Stay strong, my WA friend. As M suggested do a separate post if you need the extra support. We get it.

Had a really nice time with the family today. The turkey was excellent. So good right out of the oven. Something so comforting about that meal. More movies tonight.

I'm grateful for all the love and support I've received from the SR community this year. And how about our friends outside the US hangin' with us today and giving us some love? Absolutely, FANTASTIC to quote our dear Nefer!

Peace,
Cas