Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Weekend Thread! Holiday Edition! Stay sober through "T" day here!

Notices

Weekend Thread! Holiday Edition! Stay sober through "T" day here!

Old 11-27-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

As an Aussie I won't be doing Thanksgiving but can I chime in with a couple of things that have helped me over the last eight months?

1) Before you go reaffirm to yourself your decision not to drink. Visualise the event and you afterwards.
2) Ensure your favourite NA drink is chilled and take it with you.
3) Without fuss state that you are not drinking.
4) Pour your own drink and change the subject to general conversation.
5) Have a way out if you get uncomfortable.

#1 keeps me serious, focussed and proud of my choices, #2 means I'm not trying to swallow things I don't like and I take enough to share. By saying #3 I am trapped, I can't drink without making the decision to do so and going back on my word. #4 moves things along and #5 means I don't get stuck in awkward situations.

I hope you have a good time whether alone or with others.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Fantastic Marcher! Especially in number 1; the 'afterwards' was never a pretty picture so if I keep that in the front of my mind, I will never drink.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I'm in, for the whole weekend and not just Thanksgiving Day.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Yoo hoo !

Can I crash the party???? Have no idea what all these strange US foods are that you guys are talking about, apart from turkey of course, but that's OK - they sound pretty amazing.

I'm back to Day 1 - busted briefly yesterday afternoon (which of course was not a good thing - see my 'Tsunami' thread in N/Comers).

So I thought I'd invite myself - if that's ok - to join you guys going through almost the biggest weekend of the American year, for a bit of support from and to you all.

xx
Vic
Old 11-27-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Wishing you all a very happy Thanksgiving - kinda jealous that I won't be getting turkey and all trimmings, but will be thinking of you all Xx
Old 11-27-2013, 10:10 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Vic ,
nice to have you along , we need more austil-asian time zone people i think marcher is one of the few who comes and regularly does a weekend . i could be wrong though ! …

if i were off today i think i'd have turkey for my dinner and wear my jumper with the american flag on it It's a shame one of the channels doesn't put the maces' parade on telly here .

Thanksgiving ? hmm well thanks for all of you guys , you help keep me grounded in my sobriety , help me think i made the right choice , even those who go back out and come back in to prove the point , I know viscerally that drinking holds no good for me at all ..

So thanks everyone May you all be truely thankful today for what you all have ..

Bestwishes, m
Old 11-27-2013, 10:34 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
8 months sober today on Thanksgiving!! I can't wait for an awesome sober meal with my family today.

I had to miss my brother's wedding two weeks ago because of hip replacement surgery, but his new wife is coming to dinner so I'm excited to see them, even though I'll be lumbering around with my cane.

Then AA meetings on Friday and Saturday and Sunday. I haven't been to a real meeting in over a month. Friends have brought meetings to me in the hospital and my apartment, but I'm looking forward to the real thing.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:01 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

I'm in! Had some cravings today at wine o'clock, followed by thoughts of 'maybe I don't really have a problem after all', followed by reality check and brief poor me thoughts. Then I got over myself.

Congrats on 8 months, digdug! That's awesome.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:19 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hi Kadi,

I've seen a lot of people mention 'wine o'clock' - boy do I remember THAT from the years when I went to work [made redundant mid-'09].

And back then, like so many, I was wasted most of each weekend, so I would've been a true 'weekender' - if only I'd found SR in those years. Sob!
Old 11-27-2013, 11:19 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Digdug congrats on 8 months!! That's awesome

Snipe, that's awesome about thanksgiving and completing 30 days... What an accomplishment! Good for you!
Old 11-27-2013, 11:32 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Digdug yeah, very very inspirational!! And Snipe, too, damn good show!

Aw, M, you're such a dear dag :-) Jumper with the American flag on it? You could top it off with the bobble cap :-) Stylish!

And yeah, are Marcher and I the only ones from the Aussie contingent? Oh well, if so, we'll just have to talk to ourselves when all you lovely Northern Hemi's are in bed snoring.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:48 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

I'm up early! Have a terrific weekend everyone, whatever you do and wherever you are!
Old 11-28-2013, 01:57 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Happy Thanksgiving to my American neighbours!
Old 11-28-2013, 02:33 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving to all my American SR friends. I hope you spend the day enjoyably however you "do" the day and I hope you hold your sobriety close.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:45 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Good Morning (in my time zone, at least!)

It is a day for giving thanks, and I have much to be thankful for. I won't bore you with the entire list, but I would be remiss if I didn't take this time to state my gratitude for the SR community.

Through, by and with members of this forum community I have learned about myself and my addiction. Thank you for demonstrating daily that it is because change is possible that hope is reasonable.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:45 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Wishing all the SR Americans a happy and sober Thanksgiving. Hope everyone else has a wonderful weekend too. Take care everyone.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:46 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade begins at 9am est. the balloons are so large, they each have 100 handlers...I think Bart Simpson once broke loose and injured someone...the wind speed is a big factor on grounding the big balloons... heard that the new balloon is bikini bottom from spongebob.
it's a huge crowd in cold weather...better view on tv.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:00 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving SR Americans!

I am not celebrating up here in Canada and I wish I was! I am so grateful that this thread is open early this weekend because it has been a tough week for me. Just last night I was close to losing my sobriety due to peer pressure in the intermission bar at a really nice theater in my area, and it was so tempting, especially after the day I had. But I ordered a gingerale instead of wine and that was good enough for me. The Christmas play was excellent without a chemical buzz. I am staying in today to work on assignments and hopefully ease some of the intense stress and pressure that school has been putting on me lately.
I am so glad that I didn't drink last night. I have worked so hard to get this far sober and I am really looking forward to being sober all thru the holidays this year!
Old 11-28-2013, 03:46 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Be myself.... Glad you are starting again. I am sure you have heard this before but failure is not trying. Glad you are with us.

Digdug! Congrats!

Welcome home sniper!

I am up and ready to make the stuffing and cornbread. I love both of them. The corn bread will double with the chili I froze last weekend.

Getting ready to watch the macys parade in New York City. The city is no place to be with this cold and wind. Been there .. done that. But like Miss Fandy said... Better view on TV.

-------------

Did YOU drink last night? Did YOU feel you barly made it?

This thread is to encourage and open for all to post. No one here does not know the feelings YOU might be having.

I used to get put off when I read about happy people doing normal things and were sober. I felt I did not fit in.

Well... That's not true here. Say hello. Stick around. We don't bite! Well... Maybe Non does a little and that's if you have bacon on you... but most of us don't!

Ken
Old 11-28-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Good morning! ! Happy Thanksgiving! ! I am very thankful for my SR family. Have a serene and sober day! Make the calories count!!!