Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Weekend Thread! Holiday Edition! Stay sober through "T" day here!

Notices

Weekend Thread! Holiday Edition! Stay sober through "T" day here!

Old 11-27-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I'm in! boing boing boing
Old 11-27-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I'm here! I will be thankful for sobriety this weekend!
Old 11-27-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I am joining in for a sober Holiday too. I very probably will be working tomorrow and I don t have much planned aside from staying sober and hanging out with my best friend and his partner but that one is a question mark.
They are in active addiction so if they are "celebrating", I will just stay home and take care of business and do my usual volunteer work.
If for some reason I end up not working tomorrow, I will check out a local alkathon.
On Friday, my home group has a Thanksgiving leftovers potluck so I will be going even though I won t have leftovers since I am not cooking tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Just found out we get out of work a little early today! Nice!

Going to my sisters house for dinner tomorrow. My immediate family will be there, and maybe some stragglers as well.
My contribution is going to be Chex Mix made with extra love (butter), delicata squash, cut in lengths and roasted, baked sweet potato and pumpkin angel food cake.
Also, it is my brothers birthday this week, so I made him some 'fig newton' cookies last night. They turned out amazing....never have made them before. I will be adding them to my cookie repertoire.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I'll sign up. Speaking of Black Friday, i know a woman who loves to take her daughters every year at midnight to the mall--not even to shop, but just to people-watch! Why would you go out in that madness unless you absolutely had to? I can't imagine trying to maneuver in the parking lot!
Old 11-27-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

With all due respect blackfriday ... Yes it has become one word... Is a tradition that keeps folks employed. No...no... Not getting like that. Just know that Black Friday is the day that many places of business finally see a profit.

This year I have contibuted. Not many years before could I but I got everything from furniture to a really cool black bracket. And I never wear jewelry. Lol.

How do they say? Shop till you drop?
Old 11-27-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

You're made of tougher stock than I am, Weasel! More power to you!
Old 11-27-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I'll sign up. Speaking of Black Friday, i know a woman who loves to take her daughters every year at midnight to the mall--not even to shop, but just to people-watch! Why would you go out in that madness unless you absolutely had to? I can't imagine trying to maneuver in the parking lot!
I love shopping but I have PTSD and do very poorly in big crowds so I ll pass on Black Friday plus people use it as an excuse to behave like animals
To quote my mother: "Consumerism at his worst".
Old 11-27-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I love shopping but I have PTSD and do very poorly in big crowds so I ll pass on Black Friday plus people use it as an excuse to behave like animals
To quote my mother: "Consumerism at his worst".
I'm diggin' Cyber Monday this year. Bring on the steals online!
Old 11-27-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I've watched the simpsons (I only watch cartoon / comedy shows nowadays as "the news" was more opinion and it started me resenting things and people something this alike can ill afford to waste time and effort over.
My news is about the people in my life and most of them are getting along ok , working hard , trying not to upset & hurt people, and of corse all you guys are headline news working hard at getting better , far more real and forfilling )

now time for a cup of tea

m
Old 11-27-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I am in for the 'long' weekend No Thanksgiving here though, good I think !
Old 11-27-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Thank you for starting this thread. Please count me in for a sober Thanksgiving holiday.

I am thankful for choosing sobriety in August and for the support of all the good people on SR. The social support of this forum is outstanding.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Me and my BF are both recovering alcoholics. He works all day on the holiday...so we will have a dinner when he gets home, just us two.

No booze...makes room for that extra slice of pie! Holidays for him used to be a day alone to booze himself sick. Two years ago, he ate dinner with me, excused himself, said he'd be back for desert in a couple hours...I didn't see him for three days....

This year I won't be cross eyed from wine trying to whisk the gravy without burning myself!
Old 11-27-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I'm back home in the USA visiting family for the holidays. Thanksgiving is a wonderful holiday in that it reminds me a lot of Christmas, but without the commercialization that comes with Christmas. I'll be in the gym in the morning (I checked and they're open in the morning), trying to get a good session in so I don't feel so guilty when I'm sitting in front of the tv the rest of the day watching football and eating, eating, and eating. Can't wait for some pumpkin pie with whipped cream,
Old 11-27-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Thank you for this thread--I'm excited to be in.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday--love the FOOD, love playing games with my family, and, yes, I even love Black Friday. I have so much to be grateful for this year--I have about four and a half months of sobriety, which I would have never thought possible. I'm thankful for rediscovering SR (had ventured upon it a few years ago, but never registered or posted).

We'll be staying local. We were going to sign up for a Turkey Trot 5k but didn't--maybe that's a good thing since our weather has been miserable. My mom is cooking, so we're going to her place for turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, macaroni and cheese, vegetables, wilted lettuce salad, chocolate chip pie, pumpkin pie, and pumpkin roll. I'm on clean-up duty. After dinner, my sons (12, 10) want us to play games (Taboo, Blokus, and Heads Up). There are only 5 of us, total, so the whole day/evening will be relaxed. It's been a little over 2 years since my dad died unexpectedly, so holidays are still a bit hard--we talk him a lot, especially on Thanksgiving and Christmas, reminiscing and laughing. We also light a candle in honor of him.

It's nice to hear about everyone else's Thanksgiving or end of the week plans. So happy to be in the company of the rest of you.

Ring, ring!
Old 11-27-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Just watched the man of steel movie. Ehhh...

Nice to relax clear headed.

Be well everyone!
Old 11-27-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Here for a long and sober weekend!
Old 11-27-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

** ring ring **,
thanks, Ken!!! you.are.the.man!!! Nice to get a little break from work in the middle of the week. Going to my aunt and uncle's dairy farm about 50 minutes outside of Minneapolis tomorrow. They are my father's people and I always enjoy seeing them. I love getting out of the city. So quiet there and the big dinner is always tasty.

I can absolutely resonate with the desire to drink on this holiday (any holiday really). I've been focusing on how nice it is to get a day off, getting a good meal, and being able to see family that I care about. I don't have to feel weird or freakish. I'm grateful for that.

This is a dark time of the year for many here, but I wish everyone peace and strength. We can get through this together.

Big Hugs,
Cas
Old 11-27-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hey cas... Yes it is an odd time of year. Never felt settled during the holidays. Glad to see ya here!

Anyway... Went out and got a big sloppy meatball and cheese sandwitch.... Mmmm. I will diet next week.

Startong another movie. Love not feeling the draw to go drink. I am happier these days at home. I have my days but not this day.

K
Old 11-27-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

SNL special is on tonight.....love the skits!