Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

The Surprising Truth About How Much Americans Drink On Thanksgiving

Notices

Old 11-26-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

of course not completely accurate but interesting nonetheless. before I got sober I was under the impression that everyone drank until they were wasted on Thanksgiving.

source - The Surprising Truth About How Much Americans Drink On Thanksgiving
Old 11-26-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah it's surprising that over 50% don't drink . . . I wonder would that be the same for the Irish on St Patrick's day or is that pushing the boat out too much lol!!
Old 11-26-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think it's the media and going to the store that makes us think it's so much more. I was at Walmart on Saturday (I know, what was I thinking the weekend before Thanksgiving?) and they had hard liquor, mixers, wine and beer peppered throughout the entire store. It seemed like I couldn't turn a corner without running into another end-cap of the vile stuff. Thankfully, I just passed right by it thankful it wasn't in my cart.

The funny thing is, I never drank on Thanksgiving even when I was drinking. My parents don't drink because of a history of alcoholism in the family. Go figure!
Old 11-26-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, I too never drank on thanksgiving... Ever. Nobody in my family did and I never felt like it... Too much family lol
Old 11-26-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Actually, that doesn't surprise me at all, I mean, Thanksgiving is family time. I wouldn't have dare to get wasted in front of my grandma. She survived Poland during War II- nobody pissed off my babcia and she didn't like "the drink". Oh I miss her!
Old 11-26-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I'm not surprised at this now that I'm sober. I'm actually finding that there's a lot less drinking going on then I thought there was. This applies to functions and holidays.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am with the above posts, I never drank AT thanksgiving functions, my family doesn't drink. But I sure as hell was in a hurry to get away from it to get home and start drinking. Sometimes to stay up real late just to "catch up" on my buzz...
Old 11-26-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EFC

It's usually the night before Thanksgiving that the drinking is heaviest rather than the holiday itself. Everyone goes home and people go out with friends and family they haven't seen in a while. The "non-regulars" end up being too hungover to drink on Thanksgiving!
Old 11-26-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Most partying occurs on Wednesday night.
There's even a bar in my home town that serves Bloody Mary's on Thanksgiving Day for hangovers.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've read before that roughly half the adult population consists of teetotalers or occasional drinkers. Never would have believed it when I was active.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
I'm not surprised at this now that I'm sober. I'm actually finding that there's a lot less drinking going on then I thought there was. This applies to functions and holidays.
I agree 100%. My doctor told me that only 10% of the population can't stop at 1 drink. I didn't ask where he got that figure but it seemed a little low to me. You should see our company parties - seems more like 90%.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I never really drank much Thanksgiving Day but Thanksgiving eve I used to get smashed. Then not want to eat thanksgiving dinner but rather drink Coke and stare at football. And I don't even like football! lol I heard Thanksgiving eve is a big day for the bars too. Oh well I am happy and proud to be in the 58% this year!
Old 11-26-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Those percentages add up to over 130% - in the footer of the image it notes people could respond more than once: so if you drank coffee on Tday and then got wasted on beer you would be in both categories.

Thanksgiving has always been about over indulgence- everyone I know eats and drinks alot- even if it's just for that day. It's a day to be a drunk and food addict! yay!

Feeling grateful everyday!
Old 11-26-2013, 09:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I once went to a Thanksgiving celebration where there was no alcohol, everyone was drinking chocolate milk and a variety of juices. It was a really pleasant and welcoming get together. I still think about it to this day. You don't have to drink in order to enjoy spending time with your family, and if you do, maybe you aren't really enjoying it anyways and there is somewhere healthier you should be for the holidays.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When I was drinking my father (who was never a big drinker) watched me like a hawk on holidays, and would start bustin my hump after a quarter glass of wine. I therefore drank less on holidays than any other days in the year. Getting sober made holidays a whole lot easier for me. I'm incredibly lucky in that way.

I also when drinking thought most of the world drank as I did. Was shocked at how many people didn't once I started sobering up. I have lots of friends outside of AA, and most of them don't really drink. My wife has about 5 drinks a year, if even that much. She has no desire to drink more. Same with my best friend at work. I'm pretty sure she doesn't drink at all actually. Just doesn't like to. Go figure.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It definitely depends on what circles you are in. I know many families pounding the wine and Manhattans. One of my coworkers told me yesterday he can't wait until tday because his whole family gets drunk and has a grand time.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Such a different culture compared to over here in the UK. I think you'd struggle to find an average Thursday where 58% of adults didn't have a drink in Scotland. I exaggerate slightly but it's probably not that far off. Such an ingrained drinking culture to be around.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That chart doesn't really reflect in any way the amount of drinking that goes on.
It says,"which of these, if any, will you drink with Thanksgiving dinner?"