Notices

Blackouts

Old 11-25-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Blackouts

Anyone else find that as alcoholism progresses, it takes less and less alcohol to trigger a blackout? I have been a couple night a week binge drinker and in the last year, it seems like as little as 4 or 5 beers total can result in a blackout. It is very frightening on many levels. Just wondering if others experienced this.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

nothing good can come of it. They became more frequent for me. My sensitivity to alcohol seemed to vary as well- things were becoming far more unpredictable and unstable.

I hope you can find a way out of it
Old 11-25-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know if my blackouts have been reached with less alcohol as time goes on but I know that I seem to black out with less alcohol and more often than most people that I drink with. I think for me this is because of how quickly I consume each drink. I tend to consume all beverages really quickly (even water, milk, juice etc.). But I also have been surprised at how easily I black out and it is undoubtedly the scariest part of my drinking.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is a good point re drinking fast. I too consume all beverages (and food too) really really fast.

When there is a witness that can recount the events of the evening, more often than not, they say that they had no idea I was even drunk let alone blacked out. It is completely freakish to me.

Alcohol is clearly such a poison to my body and mind. I feel like I have done irreparable damage with all these blackouts...and there have been well over 100. I just had 42 sober days before last night and even with that time I was increasingly having trouble with being unable to think of the right words in ordinary conversation.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Increasingly unpredictable and unstable is definitely how I would put it too for me.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Yes. My last drunk episode took 3 glasses of wine before blackout.

It doesn't get better with abstinence either.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really can't remember now. I remember they came more frequently in the later years and I was never able to predict them...

The good thing is I haven't had a blackout since I stopped drinking
Old 11-25-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Countingdays,
What you wrote sounds like it came out of my own head, it is so scary that those around me have no idea how drunk that I am, I guess I just don't show it like most people. I agree with you that it is a poison to my mind and body.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by countingdays View Post
Increasingly unpredictable and unstable is definitely how I would put it too for me.
Same here
Old 11-25-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, my last drunk was a total blackout. My (then) GF said I got drunk right away, and I remember nothing of that night. I have no ability to effect the way my body deals with alcohol, but I have made the choice it's never entering my body again... No matter what.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Me too! Regarding others being oblivious to my own oblivion. SCAREY!
Old 11-25-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Unhappy

Too many black outs for me to count .. that is not good at all
I am still trying to figure things out people told me I have done during blackouts. the last one I had I was rushed to the ER ... my family thought I was having a stroke spent 3 days there to detox my body I never want to drink again I want to remember my life and what I do in not trying to guess it