Notices

Four months

Old 11-25-2013, 04:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Four months

I'm 30 years old and I can honestly say I been a heavy drinker since age 16 and over the years I watched problems develop with me wether it be financial family legal and finally health wise and it all came back to that poisoning drink I loved so much that I never wanted to blame for my problems or let go I always made excuses for the blackouts violence anxiety withdrawals hangovers I tried quitting manus times but always finally gave in I kept coming back to it till it finally ruined all aspects of my life . When I hit rock bottom I finally realized there wouldn't be a life anymore if I continued to drive that path I was going and I chose to survive not just for me but for my son and wife....for my family. I hit rock bottom and was at risk for losing my family andlosing my job and loosing my freedom as well as degrading health and as I sat in a jail cell not knowing if everything I knew and loved was over (not being very religious)I prayed to god to help me in my time of need I asked him to help me see my family again and to help me and give me the strength to become sober and no more then five minutes after I prayed the officer came to my cell opened and said you are free to go the d.a is dropping the charges, I went home and was more depressed than relived because I knew I had to change my life and it was going to be different then what I was use too . my whole adult life I drank I didn't know what it was like to deal with problems and enjoy things without alcohol it's been a journey so far the first two months a lot of anxiety and soul searching and reflecting but everyday that goes by I feel better and better everyday I weak up next to my son and wife without hangover every time I say no thank u to alcohol offers at gatherings at first I felt when I wasn't drinking I was missing out on something but as time goes on I see the time when I was drinking all those years was the time I was really missing out on stuff...when I was drinking I was missing out on life itself..... I made a promise to god my son and my wife that I would never drink again and four months later I am sober and have kept that promise...... Yeah I've had some bad days filled with cravings or what ifs and I've also had great days too I've complied tihis list below its a quick guide that I keep with me it helps me stay focused thanks guys comments welcomed
1)forgive yourself but never forget
2)Avoid party's full of alcohol
3)Avoid people who peer pressure
4)Communicate my thoughts and feelings with wife
5)Remember what made you stop drinking and all the hurt I caused from drinking
6)Write a list of all bad stuff that happened when drinking and and a list of good stuff when sober keep it on u at all time and take it out when you almost feel tempted to drink
7)Remember ur promise to Ur family and god
8)Pay no attention to craving or triggers of temptation deal with it!!!!
9)Deal with anxiety, stress and know it will eventually leave
10)When u have a good thought about alcohol don't give it a strong emotional response accept that it was good for awhile move on remember the good times faded or turned really bad most the time
11)Most important accept that u had no control over the alcohol or ur self while using
Never try to reson with ur self that sometimes u had control or a few drinks this one time won't hurt that's the mind trying to trick you into drinking..

1)Always remember you have the power to never take that first drink!!!
2)To remember the bad your drinking abuse caused
3)The promise you made to your family
4)That you never had control and can never have control over your drinking when ur drinking so you can never go back to it
5)Drinking is death,misery,hangover,blackout,anxiety,worry,famil y problems ,violence ,danger
Legal problems
6)Being sober is ,family,happiness ,health,better life,no anxiety,no hangover,no anxiety,no violence,no blackout
Old 11-25-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Brilliant post and well done
Old 11-25-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR brownbear - congrats on your sober time

D
Old 11-25-2013, 12:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you joined the family.