Notices

Antidepressant withdrawal

Old 11-24-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antidepressant withdrawal

Well my doctor told me to pretty much jump off my tablets from me reducing them to 75% for a week. Then I said "are you sure?" She said "oh just do another week of half a tablet and then come straight off them".

So I thought that the tablets mustn't be that bad, if I just do what she initially said of jumping off after 75% for a week it should be ok....right?

I was fine for three days, well emotionally I was teary and rage full, but I was physically ok.

Then on the third day (yesterday) I experienced nausea and a shocking headache. My only option was to take another tablet as I couldn't function like that. I took another one and I also took painkillers for my headache.
My husband says I'm crazy and unsupportive.
I would safely say that he is being emotionally unsupportive to me. Yes I guess in this state I am unsupportive of him. I have been pretty busy caring for our two little boys (aged 8 months and 2 years and 8 months) all while this is happening. He has been working and sleeping. He did get drunk the other night too after work but I was at mums and had her help the next morning with the kids.
He can say such mean and unsupportive ****. I have a big resentment against him and I don't trust him emotionally.
Funny how us alkies do self destructive things like marry the wrong people.
Hmm. Ok I am ready to have a calm day today and work my program including working on my resentments....
Old 11-24-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Anyway keeping the focus on myself today, working my alanon program and caring for myself and my babies.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you continue to have problems, go back to your DR or get a second opinion EWM.

sorry for your husbands non support, but you're right - you need to focus on you for now - unless you're in imminent danger or crisis, I think any big life changing decisions can wait awhile.

D
Old 11-24-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Old 11-24-2013, 09:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am one of lucky ones I guess never have bad withdraws coming off AD's. But believe me there is enough info out there, that for most people you should slowly ween off them, plane and simple. If your doctor doesn't know about this, it time for a second opinion.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Withdrawal does happen on ADs. I had terrible vertigo in the past. Have you called your doctor after going through such a rough time? Hugs.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Try and be a little less hard on yourself too Even non-alcoholics partner up with or marry people who are emotionally unavailable and unsupportive. In fact show me a "perfect" relationship and then we could probably all learn a little more x
Old 11-25-2013, 01:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Mom. Sorry to hear you're struggling with withdrawals from your antidepressants. I came off Citalopram a couple of years ago for a while and tapered very slowly (over a month) and still had horrendous withdrawals (headaches, brain 'flashes', irritability, mood swings, itchiness etc). Doc didn't think to advise I might not feel 100% during the taper down process. As people have said, go back and see the doc again (I wish I had done in hindsight) and get some help with this! Very tough to go through this as well as your alcohol recovery so just take everything one step at a time and don't give yourself too hard a time. Can you maybe show your husband some information about antidepressant withdrawal? This might help him be a bit more supportive and has worked with my other half when he just thinks I'm being 'crazy'. Just a thought
Old 11-25-2013, 02:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You can always ask if it is worth tapering ! Once your happy to stop taking them be positive to yourself about why. Stock up on painkillers and don't look back! I hope they have been worth this temporary blip, the discomfort will go and you have this place to vent!
Good luck remember one battle at a time, be that alcohol , Anti depressants or relationship choices.
John.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am so sorry you are going through this. I went off Prozac a few months ago and I took the ENTIRE summer to taper off. Yes, 2 1/2 months worth of tapering (but I am very sensitive to medications). Although I am back on them now, I know if I do go off again I will need to take it VERY SLOWLY.

Take some deep breaths, focus on you and your kids. You will be fine :-)
Old 11-25-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey momma hug to you. While I have no advise on the anti depressives, I do on the unsupportive spouse

Right now is a very self involved time, us moms usually have a hard time with this. It's time to treat yourself with the same love and respect you would your own kids. Build your emotional strength up to where it's no longer ok to not have your needs met. If your hubs isn't the supportive type expect resistance. But don't back down there's no room for retreating here. Your worth caring about! The more kindly you treat yourself, the more kindly others will. This takes time and some real practice. Hugs from a fellow ex wino mom
Old 11-25-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone. Yes I think that a slow tapering program is much better for me if I am to have a manageable life, early sobriety and very young kids and a husband to boot.
I went to an AA meeting tonight, first one in a week. I was like a SPONGE. I need more than one meeting a week cause I'm going crazy.
Love you guys, thank you xxx