Notices

Step one, I'm here.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Step one, I'm here.

Hi

I quit last year for 9 months, but stress and sadness got be drinking again. I thought, if I quit once, I can quit again. But I find myself without the resolve to do it . My drinking isn't as bad as it used to be, but it is not helping me in my life, either.

My cheeks are now red (is it due to winter, swimming in a chlorinated pool, or drinking?) I am guessing it is due to the drinking.

I am a high functioning alcoholic, but there is so much more I want to do with my life than be drunk on the couch.

I am very anxious today. My friends can't relate to my problem, I tend not to share with them. I have distanced myself. Safer to be by myself.

I am also dating, but am nervous to tell them that I shouldn't/ can't drink. Social lubrication. I might have found someone special, but don't want to scare him off. Is it better to get sober on my own and find him again when I am, or tell him and risk drive him off?

Anyway, I'm glad you are here.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

to SR Xx
Old 11-24-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

Originally Posted by jnut View Post
Hi

Is it better to get sober on my own and find him again when I am, or tell him and risk drive him off?
If this is a new relationship, I'd recommend you make you and your recovery number one, not finding that special one. The emotional turmoil that sometimes accompanies "love" is often a hurdle to sobriety. That's why it is suggested, no relationships the first year of recovery.

Do you have a recovery plan to support your decision to quit?
Old 11-24-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome jnut!
Old 11-24-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome jnut, glad you have joined us.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'd also recommend devoting yourself to your recovery, not a new relationship. If it's meant to be it will wait.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome jnut

One thing I found was that a little sober time really unclouded my mind and helped me sort out stuff I felt was unsolvable.
Regardless on what you decide on the other things, committing to being sober is a great decision for you, I think

D
Old 11-25-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! So again, today is day one. (Didn't have the courage to say on the date that I was quitting, so ended up drinking) Later last night, I told the guy that I was not going to drink anymore, but we will see what happens on that front. If we can hang and not drink then that would be something, if not, then we will go our separate ways. Always more fish in the sea.

This time I mean it. But I'm not going out tonight, and I have no booze in the house.

I am doing the vitamin regiment again, and pure willpower. Plus you fine folk for support. Withdrawal is virtually non existent compared to the last time I quit, don't feel like punching anyone this time.

And again thanks! I'm glad I found you and this site.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome jnut! I'm glad you found us. I think it will help you feel less anxious by being here.

I can relate to your dating situation. I had been 3 yrs. sober when I met someone who had no idea I had a problem. On our first date he ordered wine & I drank it without even thinking twice. That was the end of my sobriety for years to come. I wish I'd at least told him I didn't feel like drinking (we don't have to tell them our whole history until we know them better ). I'm glad you're being protective of yourself and your precious sobriety. Good job on Day One. You can do it!
Old 11-26-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks again. Now I'm on day 2. Resisted hitting the liquor store on the way home.... Had to fight with myself about it. But now I'm home. Gonna read a book then go to sleep.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I see there are classes. But I can't find the class of November 2013. I assume you are of the months class that you stopped drinking. I'd like to be part of a class.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You can check it out here: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

Welcome to the Forum jnut!!
Old 11-26-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You're doing great jnut. Congratulations on Day 2.