Notices

Moving Forward Isn't Easy...

Old 11-23-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It seems difficult to move forward sometimes when you have so much past to fight off. I've tried/am trying to change my life but I feel like I'm already the person I'm going to be for the rest of my life and I can't change. I've made some new friends and got some new interests, but they're not enough (by that I mean I dont see/do them enough)to overwrite the past and the old me.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Keep on doing the right thing and before you know it your past will be just a memory. It seems hard to overcome it but it can be done. Have faith in yourself.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The past is in the past. Keep walking forward with positivity and embrace the new life that you are living. Change comes with time and with perseverance. Least has said it best. You can do this.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
James, I've been fighting this for long-long-long time

Originally Posted by James18 View Post
It seems difficult to move forward sometimes when you have so much past to fight off. I've tried/am trying to change my life but I feel like I'm already the person I'm going to be for the rest of my life and I can't change.
Still fighting, actually... But some time ago I finally passed some point of "no return", "event horizon", whatever... Life is still far from being easy, but I know - I can change my way and find the path to my authentic self.

Never give up, have faith, even when there's no single guiding star in the dark sky.

I am currently going through extremely tough times dealing with issues rooting in the past, but sobriety granted me that point of inner balance I can hold on.

Stick with us. Keep posting. Keep faith.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

James, I'm about where you are right now. Overcoming the past and replacing bad habits has been a frustrating challenge. However I am beginning to live in the solution instead of the problem. yes you can do this, rootin for ya.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to try to get rid of the old me, too and found it didn't work so well. In my searching, I found Debbie Ford's 'The Shadow Effect'. She shows us how embracing our 'dark side' gives us emotional wholeness and the absolute freedom to be who we are. Making peace with our dark side demands honesty, courage and a great deal of compassion. Bring the dark side into the light, and shine the light on it and healing will begin.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

you have to continue evolving and learning.

trying to change your old past self is an incredibly hard task, especially if we are used to the same routine for years.
once you add more positive things, little by little they replace negativity and frustration.
it takes time. it's not easy. we will fail. but as long as we don't give up, there's hope and a real chance at a beautiful life.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If my life had been perfect I wouldn't be seeking and evolving
Old 11-23-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by James18 View Post
It seems difficult to move forward sometimes when you have so much past to fight off. I've tried/am trying to change my life but I feel like I'm already the person I'm going to be for the rest of my life and I can't change. I've made some new friends and got some new interests, but they're not enough (by that I mean I dont see/do them enough)to overwrite the past and the old me.

Try and not look at all your past mistakes as one big pile of crap. Take one thing at a time you can correct or amend, and go from there so you dont get too overwhelmed. It takes a while to clean up the past to ensure a bright future, but its worth it and you dont have to do it all at once.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Realising my life

I have made some hideous choices in my life and I have been very selfish, too. Some of those I hurt are no longer here, so I cannot even try to make amends. But I absolutely believe in the power of people to change. If I didn't I'd have given up on myself a long, long time ago.

While I would never advocate making some of the choices I made, I do believe that 'owning' them has made me much more compassionate and far less judgemental than I might otherwise have been. I still struggle at times with feeling worthy of the happiness I have now, but I do try to treasure every moment. And, for that, I'm thankful.

As others have said, we are evolving all the time. It's the choices you make today that count
Old 11-23-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you need to give it time James - faith helps too.

I believe we're all the sum of our experiences - I hardly recognize the drunkard I used to be...but in another sense he's here inside me too....along with the me before I started altering my reality, and the man I am today.

I haven't overwritten the past - its not good for me to forget - but I have come to terms with it, made amends as best I can...and forgiven myself.

It's not a short journey but it's a great one to be on.
Keep the faith, keep working on yourself, and you'll get there James

D
Old 11-23-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
EndGame

I rarely recognize the person I was while I was drinking. If this is going to work, we need to find a way to keep us going for the long-run.

When I put down the drink, I stopped living someone else's life, a life that should never have occurred. But it did, and I was the one living it.

I won't make a list of "good things I did in sobriety here." It probably doesn't help anyone. But I will say that I've never had the peace of mind and the enthusiasm that I've had for living since I achieved sobriety.

It's right there for the taking.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I believe that we are who we are because of our experiences. I'm not thrilled with my past but it's what I've gained along the way that keeps me going. I choose to share my experience, strength, and hope as a teacher and a clinician at a high school as well as in the volunteer work I do. You aren't yesterday; you are today. Glad you are here