Notices

Just thinking outloud....

Old 11-22-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just thinking outloud....

So I feel much better still having rough nights with sweats and bad dreams... Woke up last night gasping for air because of anxiety couldn't go back to sleep cause was scared I would stop breathing... I've never been a anxious person and know alcohol has caused it. Here I sit wondering why when I'm not drinking it's so much worse??? I would drink and have anxiety but didnt ever bother me, I would be like oh that sucks but when I'm sober I'm scared!!! So I'm sure this post makes no sense but feels better getting it out instead if internalizing it...
Old 11-22-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You just described my first three or four nights almost exactly. It does get much better! You should start to have much easier nights soon. My anxiety went through the roof when I quit and was the most intense at night when trying to sleep. I had trouble breathing as well and that made it even worse. Our body is so used to having a constant depressant present that when we take it away it overcompensates and, thus, the anxiety comes rushing in. It takes time for the body to balance out but, when it does, you will enjoy some of the most restful sleep you have had in a long time. Hang in there!
Old 11-22-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

best thing I could do in early days was try not to act on the anxiety, not pick up and be with others that where doing as I was.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm on day 3 KRS1, and I feel very similar. These nights are tough. Thanks for thinking out loud.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm so glad I'm not the only one...last time I quit ya I didn't learn!!! It wasn't as bad as this OMG I'm like wanting to run into oncoming traffic or beat my head against the wall for being such a dumbass!!(figure of speech I really won't do it just always a smartass that's my nature) I feel like I should be in the funny farm...it's so nice to know there are others out there I live in a small town 5000 people and feel isolated at times.. I'm so thankful for this site it has keep me grounded well until my stupid brain said hey hey hey you drink uncontrollable cause you've been so good for so long... Ya like that crap work out so well lol
Old 11-22-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I remember laying in bed one night feeling the same way. At the time I didn't realize it was withdrawal. I just couldn't breathe and thought I was having a heart attack. Sweating and feeling like I would crawl out of my skin. It was very scary.

If it continues into tomorrow I would try to see a doctor tomorrow. If it gets a lot worse tonight, I would consider medical attention. You can get medication to help you through the rough patch.

If you don't get enough sleep, try doing something else even if you don't feel like it. Or turn on boring television and lay there listening. I was never one to have a television in my room, let alone turned on while trying to sleep but in these early days of sobriety I have found the distraction quiets my brain somewhat.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing !!!
Old 11-22-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Zelda(love that game) you made me feel better I never thought of it like that how true bodies not used to it…
Old 11-22-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Krs1,
I read this in a book once so I didn't think of it but it helped me a lot.

I was a wino but did not use drugs. I had no problem looking at a heroin addict and seeing that when they were using they were generally not anxiety ridden. Just high. It was when they tried to quit they didn't look so good. Sick, shaking, anxiety. I had no trouble seeing what was so obvious that the drugs caused the sick, shakes, anxiety....Withdrawal.

Here was my tricky part. I had to see it in me. When I first quit drinking. I didn't feel all that great. In fact the first week sucked. But I had to see it for what it really was. I was not sick and anxiety ridden because I was sober but because of the alcohol....Withdrawal.

I had to be able to put the blame where it rightfully belonged. Not drinking does not make people sick or shaky or have anxiety. Alcohol does. It's the cause of the problem.

Anyway. It helped me to remember that. It helped me to remember that the longer I didn't drink the faster I could started feeling better. The only other alternative was just be drunk all the time.

I knew I really didn't have much choice. It was either be a drunk or quit and have it suck for awhile until I started to feel better.

Hang in there. The fog will clear.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Oh yeah!
I needed that kind of feedback here when I quit too! I am a strong retired military type. Never had anxiety attacks until I quit drinking. I had several attacks where I was terrified for no good reason. Full tachycardia hyperventilating. Came here and did and felt like you just did and do. I had my docs tracking my progress with regular blood work and even detoxed in hospital and had the two or three anxiety attacks within a few weeks after quitting, and none since. I heard folks talk about having those regularly and after having just a few, found that unsettling to say the least. Been three years now. I am not going back ever. Nice sober life going on now. No pain, no gain.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

360 and itchy thank you!!! I thought I was going loco and never thought alcohol could do such a thing but it has. I'm glad I'm not CRAZY as in the sense I thought I was alcohol is not friendly for me!! I'm looking forward to the anxiety going away because I'm tired of it!!! No more drinking for me it's not worth all the sleepless nights I use to enjoy it now it's a burden with horrible consequences!!!! I'm over the stupid anxiety I hate it!!!!
Old 11-22-2013, 11:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think withdrawal has a lot to do with increased anxiety - even for a few weeks after we stop - especially if you've been anxious before Krs.

Hope you feel better soon - if it's worrying you - see a Doc

D