Notices

Confession Time

Old 11-22-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
"...who else successfully gets to 55 days sober the first time they tried to quit drinking?? How can I be an alcoholic??..."

"... But who makes it through on their first try?..."

In regards to the three questions above, I have 10014; my best recovery bud here has 10037; my best out-of-state recovery bud (and temporary sponsor) in CA has 10931; and the two sponsors I've had here have 10931 and 14840 respectively; and all of us are first timers.

So, it can be done; guess that's what they mean by stick with the winners.

(o:
NoelleR
This is one of the most inspiring posts I have ever read for me...thank you! I like DD have struggled with the statistics. You have helped me imensely!
Old 11-22-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm at 5 years, 3 months, 21 days on my first time quitting. I made it this far because I knew I couldn't just have 1 drink. After this long, do I think I might be able to? No way, I'm gonna mess with success. I can never go back to where I was, ever....1 drink just isn't worth it to me.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

DD, you have come so far, it's just your AV trying to trick you. Mine is kicking in to overdrive too. Like you, while I was drinking, controlling (or trying too control) my intake was mentally exhausting even when I was successful at it. And, don't get me started about when I wasn't successful at it . As William Shakespeare said, "To thine own self be true"
Old 11-22-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

DoubleDragons, what great advice you have received here!

And you did one critical thing that I did not. When I had the same thoughts as you....I didn't share them here. I am/was a first timer and your first post in. This thread could have been mine, except I was around the 90 day mark.

My AV was screaming that maybe I took on sobriety too hastily (I'd woken up one day in July, hungover and said enough is enough).

Long story short (actually, maybe not!), at around 90 days, I went for a walk and though F it, it's a beautiful sunny spring day, Saturday afternoon, I'm going home and having a glass of champagne. I didn't enjoy the few sips I had, laid down. Felt a bit yuck, actually.

The next Friday, I had a bad week at work, bought a stunning Shiraz and a lamb shoulder to roast (expensive wine doesn't count right, alcoholics only drink cheap when desperate). I don't even know how I got to buying the wine, only that I wanted to tell myself I was going to do 'normal' drinking, since I only had that 1 champagne a week ago.

Hell on earth hangover. That was dumb, I'm sticking to sober.

3 days later I was on a 3 day bender from hell, a day off work, feeling suicidal, accepting I was going to end up on the street and I didn't care. I seriously didn't care at some points of those days.

That was over a month ago, and I'm sorry for the long post, but honestly, if I'd just posted here, and really taken on board that even if I COULD moderate, was it worth the risk?

I've heard others here speak of their hangovers getting progressively worse, or the beast taking up from where it left off, and I can honestly say, I've NEVER had a drinking experience like those 3 days of bender. I escaped something terrible within an inch of my life, I am sure.

I'm also sure that my body cannot process alcohol normally ever again, and I not willing to turn myself into an experiment that I now know is doomed to fail.

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
I really appreciate the lion on the leash quote. That one is going into my sobriety notebook!
Ironically, on the way home from work yesterday, after passing all the Friday drinkers at the local bars (and not a hint of envy)....I went into The supermarket and "The Lion Sleeps Tonight", was playing. Seriously!

It made me smile. It's forever going to be my happy Friday night song!
Old 11-22-2013, 10:36 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

The AV is relentless. Tireless. It's awesome that you already recognize it. My AV still talks to me, but I just make it a short conversation. Don't let it lead you so close to the edge.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thank you, all! I knew that you would come through for me. I am officially on Day 56 (8 weeks sober) and I hope to make it to 10,000+ and then you can add me to your list, Noelle!

You all are awesome and a God-send!!!
Old 11-23-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

One of AAs tools is "we don't drink one day at a time."
Years ago when I finally plugged the jug a friend who was going through a difficult time staying sober started an attitude of thinking " I'll drink tomorrow, just not today." He's still sober after 30+ years being sober. This brings up the saying" It works IF we work it."

BE WELL
Old 11-23-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks for this post. My AV has been trying to convince me as well.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm at around 150 days sober, roughly a half-year, and I'm still just one drink away from being back where I began. If I'm ever "safe" to go back to drinking I probably won't have any interest in doing so. I like the taste of beer, but I don't drink beverages with calories, as a health choice, so if we assume intoxication isn't the main goal then .. yeah, no reason to drink.

Intoxication used to be a regular pastime of mine, now I don't get hecked up anymore. Maybe I just lost the taste, or maybe I'm not running from anything anymore, I don't know.

Just blabbing . .
Old 11-23-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notmyrealname View Post
I'm at around 150 days sober, roughly a half-year, and I'm still just one drink away from being back where I began. If I'm ever "safe" to go back to drinking I probably won't have any interest in doing so. I like the taste of beer, but I don't drink beverages with calories, as a health choice, so if we assume intoxication isn't the main goal then .. yeah, no reason to drink.

Intoxication used to be a regular pastime of mine, now I don't get hecked up anymore. Maybe I just lost the taste, or maybe I'm not running from anything anymore, I don't know.

Just blabbing . .
Yup - Not -I am also one drink away from calamity, and I hope to get where you are soon.

DD - drinking isn't worth it. Tell the AV to burn.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
I posted this on my Monthly Thread, but I think I need more feedback so here goes:

True confession time _ I was bored at work today and I kept fantasizing about having a glass of wine here and there only when out to dinner with my husband. I tried to play it out to the end, but my AV was trying to get me to realize that I did moderate over the summer, and since I have never quit drinking before, how do I know that I can't be one of those people who only have an occasional glass here or there? My AV was telling me that who else successfully gets to 55 days sober the first time they tried to quit drinking?? How can I be an alcoholic??

Anyway, just felt the need to come clean with my thoughts. I am on Day 55 which is close to another marker day (60 days), so that might be in play, too.
Just remember if you werent an alcoholic, you wouldnt be obsessing over that one glass of wine. People without addictions can give or take certain things, but sitting around thinking about something in detail shows you are indeed an addict. Good for you for recognizing it as the AV and coming on here. Well played.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Yeah............. this thought crept into my head today...........maybe I'm not really an alcoholic..............maybe I can drink...........I've been able to stop. *blink* really amazing. Thanks for posting this thread - some great advice here.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JaylaaKent View Post
Yeah............. this thought crept into my head today...........maybe I'm not really an alcoholic..............maybe I can drink...........I've been able to stop. *blink* really amazing. Thanks for posting this thread - some great advice here.
Isn't it crazy how these thoughts can pop into your head? It's insane, especially when I think of all the ridiculous stuff I've done and put others through... yuck
Old 11-24-2013, 05:26 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Cool

"...One of AAs tools is "we don't drink one day at a time."..."

I know many use the 'one day at a time' mantra for their sobriety/recovery, but my recovered buds and I got sober/recovered the way the founders of AA did.................for good 'n all.

No 'one day at a time' for us; that would make life seem interminably long; no thanks; it's long enough as it is.

(o:
NoelleR

P.S. The secretary is saving a spot for you, DoubleDragons.