Notices

Hello Fellow Recovery People

Old 11-22-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Hello Fellow Recovery People

I have been in AA since 1992 but after 12 years started controlled drinking which worked out well so I questioned if I was an alcoholic. I drank a drink every few years just like I will have a cigarette every 5 years if I get really upset. However, I take medication and have been using alcohol to get to sleep as I have been pretty depressed lately. I want to start working the 12 steps and going to meetings. I get up very early as I have a farm and with my illness I try to get to sleep early so night meetings don't work for me. I will try getting to day meetings and using this site. So far, I have been able to drink just a little alcohol which makes me go to sleep instantly. I hate to lose that ability but I can do this. I am not a partier and have never drank in public or in front of my children. We drink grape juice at out meals and because I was in AA when they were small, neither of my sons turned out to have addiction problems by the grace of God.

I also belong to ACA and go to retreats. I go to AA meetings but am having a hard time not using alcohol to sleep.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad to meet you! Welcome!
Old 11-22-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. I would suggest talking with your doctor, informing him of your past/present situation with alcohol to see if he has a solution. Please be aware of the over the counter sleep aids, many contain alcohol.

BE WELL
Old 11-22-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome little!

Not being able to fall asleep is the worst. Argh - but drinking to help you do it is a slippery slope.

I'm no doctor, and I encourage you to see one, but not being able to fall asleep could be because you aren't able to relax your muscles and your brain at bedtime - and probably throughout the day. Relying on alcohol to relax is dangerous for those of us who have tendencies to get stuck in alcohol.

There are other ways to relax and prepare your muscles and mind for bedtime.

Have you talked to your doctor about your problems falling asleep? I would talk to your doctor about your medication and the issues you are having. There are also non-habit forming sleep aids on the market, and you won't have to jeopardize your sobriety for taking them.

Have you told the people at your meetings about the trouble you are having? I bet they could be of great help to you.

Be well!
Old 11-22-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with all that has been said here. Thank you for your honesty. Not being able to sleep is Going to a doctor for suggestions is appropriate here, but also, I have found in the mean time some good herbal tea. I mean good herbal tea. Not watered down tea. Hope this helps some. Stay strong.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
DAB

Try valerian root and melatonin.
It works for me.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can't use melatonin. I have extremely low blood pressure and it lowers it even more but thanks for the advice. I do use hypnosis tapes and they work great but I fall asleep and headphones wrap around my neck. LOL!!!
Old 11-22-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome littleoldme

good to have you with us - I agree with the consensus here - if you've had sleep problems for a long time, it's best to consult your doctor & be honest with them about your story

D