Notices

First Post - looking for advice

Old 11-20-2013, 02:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Post - looking for advice

Hi all,

I had a realisation last night when I got smashed (again) that I need to quit. I guess I'm a functioning alcoholic - I'm a father have a happy marriage and a good job. However more and more I'm screwing up in social situations - saying stupid stuff, doing stupid things and putting myself in danger. Not to mention what I'm doing to my health. I realise I cannot ever be a moderate drinker - I need to quit entirely.

Does anyone know of any good groups or organisations in Falkirk (Scotland) that can help me? Also does anyone know of any useful techniques/books or can offer any advice to help me quit for good?

I'm not and will never be religious so I think anything that relies on that won't work for me.

Thanks!

John
Old 11-20-2013, 02:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

John. Try this.. Welcome To ASC | Addictions Support & Counselling
Old 11-20-2013, 02:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi John1234, Welcome to SR! There are a lot of recovery programs. I suggest you look around the site and see what appeals to you.

We all started with day one. Just take it easy and take it one day at a time. Don't worry about yesterday or tomorrow, just today.

I am personally in AA. It is not a religion as much as the belief that there is something out there that is greater or more powerful than me. A higher power. I think many think God = religion.

In any event, I am glad you are here. Jump on in, we are all here to help and support each other no matter what recovery method you choose. It not the method as much as if it works for you.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AlmA

Dear John,

If alcohol is starting to destroy your life is time to stop!!!

You can read AVRT book, Urge Surging can look it up on Internet,...
the AA book is on internet adjust it to your beliefs...

You can join here to the 24 hour club, the quitting monthly thread too.
can chat here any time...

You know you can do it if you want!!!
Old 11-20-2013, 03:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I also found my solution in AA... just wanted to put it out there that it doesn't have be a religious thing. I used to consider myself agnostic, but I'm starting to realize my beliefs come closer to what some people would define as being athiest. I don't believe in any god as it's traditionally defined, yet use the word to define an undefinable universal power that I can't deny has worked for me for close to 3 decades now. If that makes any sense (hey... it's 6 in morning here ).

Anyhow, and excellent super easy reading book with lots of practical tips on living a sober life is available for pennies on Amazon. It's called "Living Sober." I believe there are some AA references in there if I remember correctly, but most if not all fo the tips are practical with no mention of God or anything religious.

Best of luck.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi there john1234

There is a meeting in Falkirk TONIGHT for AA - I highly highly recommend you go along. It is at 8pm at St Andrews West Church on Upper Newmarket Street. I would offer to meet you there but I will be going to the meeting at Queen Margaret in Dunfermline this evening. Please note that AA is NOT something that requires you to 'rely' on religion and is not a religious organisation. You do need to have an open mind, though.

If you have never been to AA before, I recommend getting there at least 5 mins early - just long enough to grab a cup of tea, go to the loo, have a smoke, whatever makes you feel comfortable.

If you want to know a bit more about what happens at an AA meeting, just ask here! There is no obligation to say anything if you don't want to - the key thing is to listen and look for identification in what people are saying.

You're not alone in this journey - SR is a fantastic place to start

Last edited by feeling-good; 11-20-2013 at 03:40 AM. Reason: To add in more info
Old 11-20-2013, 03:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AlmA

Hi John,

I think you should give it a try, goto the meeting and see how it goes....

the one video that really put me off definitely and maybe you should watch it is:
Drugged - High On Alcohol - you tube
You do not want to end up like this...

Take initiative in your life and free yourself...
Old 11-20-2013, 03:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Can I suggest that the more people promote one method of recovery - the less likely people are to use it
Old 11-20-2013, 04:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Skye2 View Post
Can I suggest that the more people promote one method of recovery - the less likely people are to use it
That's an interesting point.. however, I'm still sticking to my guns!
Old 11-20-2013, 04:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

john1234

There is also the Falkirk Alcohol and Drug Partnership but you would need to get referred for 1-2-1 counselling by your GP. I went to FAAS (Fife's equivalent) for a while and did find it helpful, although it didn't get me sober.

The thing is, this requires you to make a GP appointment and 'fess up to them.... something that didn't overly bother me, but I am not sure how you feel about it!

feeling-good

Last edited by feeling-good; 11-20-2013 at 04:12 AM. Reason: amend error in details
Old 11-20-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You can self-refer on the link I originally posted - no GP needed.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hello John ,
Welcome to SR . I think someone special used to say when the pain of carrying on drinking is worse than the pain of quitting, you'll quit .

There are lots of methods people use , i haven't really used any prescribed way . A close relative of mine died and it made me realise what a twerp i was spending all my life obsessing over alcohol when i was given the gift of a life by her (my gran) . So i quit and haven't looked back .
SR is a great place to come learn , encourage and share .

Hope to see you round ,

bestwishes, m
Old 11-20-2013, 05:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by john1234 View Post
Also does anyone know of any useful techniques/books or can offer any advice to help me quit for good?
John
Here is our SR book list:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rituality.html
Old 11-20-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Smile

Originally Posted by Skye2 View Post
I will have to recommend things that do not work. Reverse psychology
Old 11-20-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your good advice and best wishes. I think I'll try the AA meeting that feeling-good recommended. Off tonight at 8! It feels good to be actually doing something about the problem.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Good luck John .

m
Old 11-20-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I know of one recovery method that absolutely never works. And that is continuing to drink.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by john1234 View Post
Hi all,

I had a realisation last night when I got smashed (again) that I need to quit. I guess I'm a functioning alcoholic - I'm a father have a happy marriage and a good job. However more and more I'm screwing up in social situations - saying stupid stuff, doing stupid things and putting myself in danger. Not to mention what I'm doing to my health. I realise I cannot ever be a moderate drinker - I need to quit entirely.

Does anyone know of any good groups or organisations in Falkirk (Scotland) that can help me? Also does anyone know of any useful techniques/books or can offer any advice to help me quit for good?

I'm not and will never be religious so I think anything that relies on that won't work for me.

Thanks!

John
I confided in my wife. She is important to me. I laid it all on the table and she's the most loving and caring sponsor I could ever ask for.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi John,

I wanted to second the recommendation of the book Living Sober. It does have AA elements to it but it also is full of useful, concrete suggestions about what to do if an urge hits. What kind of things trigger a person to drink, etc. etc. I have a copy and it helped me.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi there! Did you go to AA last night? I would love to hear how it went for you..