Notices

Promising tonight will change

Old 11-22-2013, 02:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Promising tonight will change

I'm new, I really need to quit drinking. I promise myself every night when I wake up I will not drink the following night but then 5:00 rolls around and I end up drinking a bottle or more of wine before the night's over. I have not tried aa because I'm afraid if I go I will see people I know or have to interact with on the business front. I also have little kids and the 530 meetings are not accessible - who wants to drag a five and four year old to an aa meeting? At their grumpiest time of day?
My husband is also struggling with alcohol abuse and is a bad influence on me, probably because he doesn't want to lose his drinking buddy. I wish I could be the person who has a glass of wine and quits, but it is always a drink till I essentially pass out right after my kids go to bed. Someone help me please! I am surrounded by a family that has alcohol at all events and a family history of alcoholism on both sides. I have no one to talk to about this but I know it has to stop for the sake of my health and for my children.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, GreenAcres. Welcome to SR!

You've found a great place of support and understanding.

Wine was my poison of choice as well, and I didn't have much support in real life. SR helped me tremendously. It will also help you to make a plan for your sobriety - things to do when cravings hit you, recognize and identify your triggers, resist temptation to drink with you hubby, etc.

In my early sobriety I posted here a lot - still do. Often just venting out and sharing struggle with other people who understand helped a lot.

Best wishes to you.

Take care, keep posting)
Old 11-22-2013, 03:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You sound exactly like me except I don't have kids. I would vow the morning after my one or two bottles of wine that I would never drink again, then suffer through a busy day at work totally hungover and exhausted, only to buy wine on the way home and start the cycle again. It was depressing, soul destroying and a miserable way to live a life. What convinced me to stop drinking was being sick of being tired and sick. Try a month not drinking and see how you feel. Check into SR and read the threads that interest you. You are not alone. Sending hugs.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by GreenAcres View Post
I wish I could be the person who has a glass of wine and quits...
Been there, done that. Turns out wishing never made it come true, though.

You listed some things you can't/won't do to quit. What can/will you do to quit?

Seems like you need additional information. This forum is full of great information about different approaches to sobriety. If you're willing to read for a while I can guarantee you will find out some things you didn't know before - and one of them might be just what you need.

Good luck on your journey!
Old 11-22-2013, 03:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Pipping View Post
You sound exactly like me except I don't have kids. I would vow the morning after my one or two bottles of wine that I would never drink again, then suffer through a busy day at work totally hungover and exhausted, only to buy wine on the way home and start the cycle again. It was depressing, soul destroying and a miserable way to live a life. What convinced me to stop drinking was being sick of being tired and sick. Try a month not drinking and see how you feel. Check into SR and read the threads that interest you. You are not alone. Sending hugs.
Ditto. Only i got to the point where the wine wasn't enough and I started in on the cheap sherry with a higher alcohol content. I didn't have kids at home either. When I went on stress leave from work I could literally go on 5 days binges with a day or two off and then i was back at it again. It is no way to live.

I don't know if this will help, but I did get an alcohol counsellor as I just didn't know what to do anymore.

You have come to the right place Green Acres. You will find lots of support and help here.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome and good luck with everything x
Old 11-22-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi GreenAcres,

I, too, have many of the same feelings as you. I just got so tired of my pattern of drinking wine every night. I know that it was taking days, months, even years off my life. I know without a doubt that it was hurting my kids. I stumbled across SR yesterday morning, read the stories and felt empowered and inspired by this community. It was clear to me that yesterday was the day to start. So I did.

I just made it through Day 1. It was easier than I thought. I kept myself distracted with fun things. The few times I felt tempted, I hopped on SR, read some messages, and found renewed strength. Before I knew it I looked at the clock and it was 10:00pm and time for bed. I slept great and woke up feeling better than I have in a long, long time.

Today is Day 2 and the beginning of Weekend 1.

This is a terrific place for support and inspiration.

Amy
Old 11-22-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

you might find some good tips there ,

Welcome to SR

bestwishes, m
Old 11-22-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Green Acres. I was an at-home drinker like you as well, and I have younger kids too. And I also used to promise myself each morning that i would cut back or quit tomorrow, but tomorrow never came. I also have a family that while perhaps isn't filled with alcoholics, drinking is a common thing around the home.

The good news is that you can quit, but you have to make changes in your life to do so. That means maybe making time for AA if you would like to try AA. There are meetings that kids can go to, there are meetings all times of the day as well. SR is also a great resource , i use it as my primary support in sobriety. There are also methods like AVRT that you can do on your own.

The bottom line though is that you will have to make time for yourself to work on sobriety, no matter what method you choose. That will mean making changes that you may not be comfortable with - like telling your husband that he needs to give you time to go to AA meetings just as an example. You have to want sobriety more than you want drinking....and it is worth it.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The cravings link is so helpful. I especially like the note about timing the duration of a craving. I think there can be something powerful in that and knowing it goes away. I will use that this weekend if I need to! I am being careful not to put too much weight on the word "weekend" though. Friday is just another day, as are Saturday and Sunday.

I am truly excited about hanging out with my kids and husband as a sober woman this weekend. We can play a board game, do a puzzle, watch a new TV show together, go to a movie after dinner.. Somehow my wine habit became more of a priority. :p
Old 11-22-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi DaisyQ

SR helped me get through many a night - I know you'll find help here too

Welcome aboard!
D
Old 11-22-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Green Acres. I will say that I wished I could be that person who has 1 and is done. I wished so badly that after almost 5 weeks of sobriety I slipped and had a drunk night last weekend. I am back at day 6 now and WILL NEVER drink again. All reservations are GONE!!!!

I will keep you in my thoughts, and your children. I have a 9 year old and she loves having a sober mommy.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you GreenAcres.

You'll find the support & encouragement here to be so helpful! No one understands like us - and we know just what you're going though. It sounds like you're drinking out of habit & it isn't really enjoyable any more. It was bringing me nothing but misery in the end - but I still was afraid to let go of it. I'd used it for so long to cope with life, even though it wasn't doing a thing to help me. It will feel so good to be free of it. You can do this!
Old 11-22-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I was an at-home, nightly wine-drinker too. And, I can sure remember making sincere promises to myself over and over again. You can stop drinking tonight and be the person and the mother that you want to be. It's not ideal that your husband drinks, but you can determine to make your choice to live a sober life. Can you spend the evening in a different part of the house, maybe reading or watching a movie?

We do understand how hard this is.