Notices

Vacations are not good for my health or my sobriety!

Old 11-21-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vacations are not good for my health or my sobriety!

Why is it that every time I take a vacation, either myself or my daughter has health issues, which is a big trigger for me????

We are in Florida for my daughters first Disney trip. A trip in the planning since she was born, and supposed to be nothing but magic. Although we have had a hood time overall, first my daughter broke out into a mystery rash that we have been battling for a few days, and this morning I went to the ER in an ambulance after passing out or having a small seizure:-(

I was thoroughly checked out including cat scan, blood work, EKG etc., and all was normal. I have a history of these episodes since I was a child, and they don't happen very often (last one was 4 years ago), but its still scary when it does happen. I am feeling okay now, just tired, but the worry brought old AV to life again.

My last vacation involved an ET trip as well, and I actually bough a pint of brandy and carried it my purse for a day, but never drank it.

This time it didn't get that close, but I did contemplate buying a bottle for just a few moments. I guess the fact I didn't is some kind of progress, but still hate that I considered it at all!!!

No more vacations for a while!!!!:-(
Old 11-21-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Well done for not drinking it. I'm sure there will come a time when the triggers lessen. It happened for me, thankfully x
Old 11-21-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Aww dolly I'm so sorry you Disney trip has been interrupted with this!!! I hope you are feeling better, and little dolly is too! Stay strong mommys rooting for you!
Enjoy the rest of your trip, maybe you can get that coveted medical express pass for the park now, have to look on the bright side
Old 11-21-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thinking about drinking is one thing...but it is what we do in response that counts Dolly. I think you did great. Glad you're ok too

D
Old 11-21-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Every time we beat temptation we get a little stronger. You just exercised your sobriety muscles.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!

When talking to the ER nurse I told her I quit drinking after drinking heavily for a few years, and she asked if that meant I drank every day....um, yep. Next question..."would you have been considered an alcoholic?"...um YES obviously! Sheesh.

Glad I didn't drink today!!!!
Old 11-21-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dollyangel17 View Post

When talking to the ER nurse I told her I quit drinking after drinking heavily for a few years, and she asked if that meant I drank every day....um, yep. Next question..."would you have been considered an alcoholic?"...um YES obviously! Sheesh.
Ha ha! For some reason I find this funny!

Dollyangel - I am so sorry your vacation didn't turn out the way you hoped. Maybe you will look back on it later and laugh. Congrats on avoiding the brandy.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I did chuckle when a different nurse (that didn't know I was an alcoholic) was going over my discharge instructions where it recommended a diet today of clear liquids. She said...."this doesn't include alcohol, you would be surprised how many people ask me that." Me thinking, no...not surprised at all, and 7 months ago this gal would have definitely swapped the chicken broth for 3 fingers of brandy!