Notices

another sober stretch ruined...whats wrong with me?!?!

Old 11-21-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Beating yourself up only feeds the negativity and I think actually makes it easier to drink again.

Use that energy productively Lor - use it to think about what you can add to what you've been doing...

you need never have to feel like this again

D
Old 11-21-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

What are you going to do differently? If nothing, then perhaps you are leaving yourself an "out", to be able to drink when you wish.

That's fine, if that's what you want to do.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

think of alcoholism as a disease. people don't chose to have diabetes, but they do have to chose to take care of themselves if they end up having it.

take care of yourself, ask for help, you don't have to do this on your own
Old 11-21-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by lorelei View Post
For now i just feel terribly disappointed and fed up with myself. X
This is why the cycle continues. We actually set ourselves up to relapse. We plan them even though we think we don't. Do not let this disappointed or being fed up with yourself take over. Feeling this way means we are giving up and setting ourselves up for another relapse. Please don't do this. You are SO WORTH the battle.

Looking back I know I set myelf up for failure and I did it on purpose. I did it for many reasons. Fear of actually quitting, just not quite ready yet, feeling sorry for myelf and actually thinking that I'm not worthy of something better. Thinking that i don't deserve it. Thinking that I can't do it so why bother. But I did it. And you can to. It is there.

We all deserve a life of peace and contentment and to be happy.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:27 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lorelei View Post
Thanks for the replies I'm honestly so fed up of myself. I want it to stop.

Thanks Sr xx
Hi Lorelei. Perhaps if the amount of slips are starting to frustrate you, maybe a journal, where you are completely honest with yourself about your thoughts would help? A pattern of what happens, why do you let it happen?

Maybe you aren't ready to let go? Perhaps finding out where the fear lies that makes you reach out again for alcohol is the key?
Old 11-22-2013, 01:29 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Oh...ladyinbc... I just see you covered off on a couple of things I said re fear. Agree.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:33 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I wish you all the best, please don't be hard on yourself, seven weeks is fantastic. Sending hugs to you
Old 11-22-2013, 01:36 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
Oh...ladyinbc... I just see you covered off on a couple of things I said re fear. Agree.
Fear was definately a big thing for me.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:55 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Oh Lorelei, I'd just logged out - about to go to bed. But just read through your post, and want to add to the cheer squad for you. Every single person understands how you feel, and (I think, all) have been where you are now. I certainly have.

I certainly agree with everyone's reflections / suggestions - but LadyinBC really nailed it I reckon. Yep, feeling like we've 'failed' the sobriety 'test' - and life - is a real danger zone. I should know. Expressing our disappointment with ourselves is sort of to be expected - but it's so true that it can open us up to just sliding down further into the arms of 'Mother': Alcohol. A very nasty mother figure, indeed.

I'm rooting for you luv, just as much as I have to for myself.
xx
Vic
Old 11-22-2013, 02:03 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

You ask what is wrong with you Lorelai? I say NOTHING! Think of all the sober days you've had since 31st August that you wouldn't otherwise have had if you didn't decide to take this journey. Stop being so hard on yourself (believe me I know it's a difficult cycle to break!) and put that energy into recovery! Look at the times you've slipped and what the triggers might have been and think about how you might deal with it differently next time.

Wishing you as always the best for your recovery