Notices

I'm back again...

Old 11-21-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm back again...

I have browsed many posts on this website over the past few months and I realize I am not alone. (which is nice)

I started drinking in my early 20's and haven't really ever stopped. Always beer or wine as I've always said liquor makes me too drunk. haha. Lately I was drinking at least 7 beers every night with some night it being up to 12. I started smoking again in March and that is something I hate too.

So last Wednesday (11/13) I got drunk and once again said as I was going to be NO MORE tomorrow! Well that lasted for 2 days. I drank 4 and a half beers Saturday and woke up Sunday feeling defeated. So once again I've said no more. I also have quit smoking at the same time and surprisingly feel ok.

I started having weird pains and cramps in my gut and went to the doctor on Tuesday. Her diagnosis is just slow moving gut I assume from stopping smoking and drinking at the some time. My body was so used to just "liquid nutrition" that I think it needs some time to figure out how to operate. I went for blood work today...liver, kidney etc and I know it's going to come back bad. But I think having a baseline to see the damage I've done and where I need to go will be good for me.

Truth is I am terrified I have done some really bad damage to myself (liver and/or kidneys) that it's consuming my every thoughts.

On a different note, in the past few days I have slept wonderfully and I think I realize that I don't need alcohol in my life. It's not something I've ever really loved I just drank because I was bored/stressed/happy/pissed off/...well like all of us I guess.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

All of us have felt similar feelings my friend!! . . . the body will heal itself without the poison of alcohol!! . . . up until I went sober my stomach/digestive system was in pieces . . . almost 1 week later (6 days sober) the pain/discomfort has gone, am more hydrated, and sleeping soundly than ever!! . . . who knows, there may be parts of my body that can't be repaired, but by staying sober I'm not going to die anytime soon . . . the body is a marvellous machine, if given a chance!!
Old 11-21-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back Lawdawg.

It will get easier, keep that in mind

You could sign into the 24 hours thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...elcome-13.html

I sign in every morning – to keep focus on what I am doing. I still do even-though it is more than 100 days since I last drank.

Deeker finds some music and pictures every day, I can enjoy with my morning tea.

You can do it
Old 11-21-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've read a lot about people having abdominal problems and how quitting (forever) turned that around. My fingers are crossed!

Thanks for your encouragement!
Old 11-21-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'll check it out Soberhawk! Thanks and congrats for 100+ days sober!
Old 11-21-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good call on your part Lawdawg. I was in a very similar situation to you when I quit. I only drank beer, but lots and lots of it. All my bloodwork came back fine but I still have some GI "anomolies" even several months into sobriety. Don't get me wrong, it's much, much better than when I was drinking, but it takes time for your body to get used to and recover from years and years of abuse. Keep up the good fight and best wishes on a full recovery for you.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to see you Lawdawg. It sounds like you're fed up with that old life & ready for something new. If you're like most of us the physical stuff will all get better as your body heals.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you're back and trying again.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope and trust all will be well Lawdawg - welcome back!

D
Old 11-21-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You all are giving me much needed reassurance. I am hoping for good news from doc but if not I will deal with it---without drinking.

I went out with some friends for happy hour tonight to congratulate me on graduating school a few weeks ago. And of course they all wondered why I was drinking water and not my usual beer. Told them I had stopped drinking. A couple snickered and a could said "good for you." It was much easier than I thought and I found myself counting how many others had which I thought was funny.

I would've had at least 2 before I left the house and prob 6 just during happy hour. Then another 4 or 5 until I passed out at home. I hope I never tirn back into that guy again. It really did suck.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just got labs back and everything is in the "normal" range. My liver enzymes are on the higher side of normal but I'll take them since they are in the normal! Thank goodness!
Old 11-22-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad to hear the good news. Your body will repair a lot of damage we do to it. I hope you are starting to see that there can be a life without alcohol and it is a much much better one. Good luck
Old 11-22-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toffee1 View Post
Glad to hear the good news. Your body will repair a lot of damage we do to it. I hope you are starting to see that there can be a life without alcohol and it is a much much better one. Good luck
I was so very nervous to get the lab work done but I figured it'd be a baseline from when I quit. I am going to do labs again in a couple months to see where I am then.

Thanks for your kind words!