Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Are there things you HAVE TO DO to keep your stress/anxiety down during the day?

Notices

Are there things you HAVE TO DO to keep your stress/anxiety down during the day?

Old 11-21-2013, 03:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lately if my morning doesn't start off right, it can throw off my whole day, so I know I need to try my best to stick to my morning routine. Shower, coffee while watching the news, apply cuticle cream (yes, I'm obsessed with how my hands look and feel), and pray and read. If all of this can happen while everyone is still asleep, its even better!
Old 11-21-2013, 03:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've switched to decaf. I also hit the gym first thing in the morning.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I prefer my morning routine to happen while everyone is asleep. I try to practice yoga several times a week and/or go for walks, which helps to keep me emotionally centered. I will also meditate during the day if my stress kicks up, or go for another walk if I am too antsy to sit still. However, none of this helps me to resolve problems that may be causing stress. In those cases, I really need to spend time directly dealing with and resolving the problem so it won't cause more stress.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm the same I get up way to early (4am) to enjoy the peaceful quiet of the house read here drink copious amounts of coffee. When I hear the pitter patter of little feet I know the non stop movements of the day will begin. Enjoy those quiet times when the sun is rising it will set you up for a peaceful day. Stay in the moment and don't worry or stress what you don't have to.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Anchorbird ,
There are ways i like to start my day , a coffee , a shower … BUT (and it's a big but) i can start my day over at any time i like . If the world has conspired against me i don't have to carry that . I can drop it , take a deep breath and start afresh .

Sometimes days are a bit jamgley and discordant , but by stopping every now and then , pressing the re-set button, calming myself down, dropping anger , try to look at the "bigger picture" it helps me get through the toughest of days .

Keep on

Bestwishes, m
Old 11-21-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Exercise - if I have a day where i'm sitting around just surfing the internet or whatever, my stress levels are high. If you think about it though, our ancestors were hunter-gatherers, so we're designed for lots of exercise (doesn't mean I always bother though)
Old 11-21-2013, 05:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I am very much a person who needs to adhere to a routine. I like the comfort and predictability. I also have learned that the life doesn't always cooperate and it does no good to lose you mind or get all bent out of shape with anxiety.

A zen-like approach works. Take what life hands you, serenely.