Notices

Probiotics - consult with the doctor first

Old 11-21-2013, 10:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Thank you so much for this post! Many of us (me included) are way too eager to head to the vitamin isle in an attempt to over compensate for the damage we have done to our bodies. Just talk to your doctor and do what makes sense...give your body a break and eat right, sleep well, and exercise some.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by EADGBE View Post
I also suffer from Autoimmune disease but it's Ulcerative Colitis not Psoriasis. I have been taking probiotics for over ten years now and never to my knowledge has it caused any symptoms. Maybe it's somehow related to the Psoriasis itself and not Autoimmune as a whole?

Just trying to offer a different opinion on them as I believe without them I would be in horrible shape being in a UC flare. My Dr. recommends them to all his UC surgical patients.

If you can believe it I have UC and am an alcoholic, it's almost like I welcome pain.

Just my opinion.
1st wow I'm surprised at how many others here have to deal with this. I remember the commercials when I was a little kid about "The heartbreak of psoriasis". Boy, I didn't realize how true that statement was.

EADGBE, welcome to the board! What Dee said, in that this isn't a one size fits all is so accurate. Autoimmune diseases are weird. I'm sure that there are some people out there that have psoriasis and UC that could take probiotics and never experience the same thing that three of us in this thread have. Just like anything, be it prescription or non prescription, and be it if you have an autoimmune disorder or not, there are side effects that "may" happen. Some may have problems and some may not.

The important thing is to check with your doctor and be monitored. It could be that I need to take less of the probiotic or maybe even a different strain. However, after that fiasco I'm unwilling to go there. It was really depressing to have those bloodshot eyes that looked like I had been on a bender. Now that I am feeling as good as I do I also realize that I felt EXACTLY how I used to feel when I was hung over. The red eyes, foggy cobweb brain, the whole nine yards. The brain works in mysterious ways. Especially an alcoholic brain. It was almost a trigger to me because I was thinking "What's the point? All the hard work that you've done and you look and feel like crap like you used to". Not that I would have given up sobriety but at least two times when I got up in the morning hoping to see clear eyes and saw the redness my mind went "Hey you, look at those eyes, you look like you've been drinking. I can see you're really upset about that, if they're going to look like that anyway why not just have a beer? No one would know the difference and you'd feel better and not care about the whole situation". Ahhhhhhhhh, the AV at it's finest. Even being as committed as I am to not drinking it still loooooooooooooves to play those games.

Due to this reason not only will I never take probiotics again I will always consult with my doctor before adding any supplements at all regardless of what they are.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
Ok, you can all slap me now but I can't resist. There is a piece of me that will aways find a way to try to bring humor into things.

gr9813, the doctor doesn't have a brother named Al K. does he?
Im not sure, I don't know much about the guy.

I stumbled across this video in the first few weeks of sobriety. After all the years drinking and eating very badly, I was convinced I was vitamin deficent. Since I barely went outdoors, vitamin D was one of the many vitamins I looked into. This was one stood out because of the guys humor and because an old friend of mine has psoriasis. Best of luck...
Old 11-22-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SeaScape View Post
Thank you so much for this post! Many of us (me included) are way too eager to head to the vitamin isle in an attempt to over compensate for the damage we have done to our bodies. Just talk to your doctor and do what makes sense...give your body a break and eat right, sleep well, and exercise some.
I try to resist vitamin supplements at all costs. When I first quit drinking I was convinced I had all sorts of vitamin deficiencies. I spent hours on a nutrition facts website researching which foods give what vitamins. Yogurt with live cultures for probiotics, oranges and bell peppers for Vitamin C, Bananas for Potassium, sweet potatoes for Vitamin A, Basil for vitamin K, milk and natural sunlight for vitamin D, ect.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by gr9813 View Post
Im not sure, I don't know much about the guy.

I stumbled across this video in the first few weeks of sobriety. After all the years drinking and eating very badly, I was convinced I was vitamin deficent. Since I barely went outdoors, vitamin D was one of the many vitamins I looked into. This was one stood out because of the guys humor and because an old friend of mine has psoriasis. Best of luck...
I think you missed lame attempt at humor gr9813

Dr. Michael Holick

brother

Al K Holick (say it out loud)

sorry
Old 11-22-2013, 10:05 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome Ladyblue. I will introduce myself on the newcomers section shortly.

And......I agree, if you are taking something prescribed or over the counter and you aren't feeling right (especially if you are taking both together) go to the Dr.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
I think you missed lame attempt at humor gr9813

Dr. Michael Holick

brother

Al K Holick (say it out loud)

sorry
hahaha... that went right over my head. thats a good one!