Notices

feeling a bit better, thinking of drinking

Old 11-20-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

feeling a bit better, thinking of drinking

i managed to make it to day two
i saw my doctor and he prescribed some medicine to help with the w/d..
still feeling sick but a bit better and i realised ive been thinking of drinking since i left ER even if it was a few hour ago

i never make it through w/d but this time i wanna make it
any tips on how too make it? is it normal to think of drinking again?
Old 11-20-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been sober more than 5 years and I still think about drinking. W/D sucks. Plain and simple, you want this, you can do it. Work through it, go to a meeting, go to bed, read, watch tv, whatever you have to keep you away from the bottle. Good luck
Old 11-20-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My suggestion echoes Leana's-essentially, *anything* that will keep you out of your head and not interacting with that addictive voice. Are you able to look up AA in your area? Someone may be able to accompany you to a meeting if you are too unsteady at the moment. Hope that helps!

Xx
Old 11-20-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah sadly it's familiar to me - even after a couple of seizures I'm not surprised you have that desire.

Needless to say it would be incredibly foolish of you to even entertain that idea.

Apart from SR, do you have any support, or any plans to get more? I think support - having people to talk to - can really help.

D
Old 11-20-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's not surprising that you want to drink, that's what alcoholics do. Hang in there. You can stay sober if you really really want it.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

im gonna try meetings when i feel better
my gf has been supporting me. i have mood swings and i told her to leave for a couple days so she wouldnt have to worry
dunno if it was a good idea or not
Old 11-20-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I still have mood swings - more than 80 days since my last drink. I don't think about drinking in a fun way. I know if I drink what it's going to be - a trip to the hospital, terrible withdrawals, depression, self loathing, blah - sounds like a bad time. I did/do drink a lot of coffee and flavored teas - and unfortunately, upped up my smoking- but no one ever got arrested for smoking and driving. Smoking is my next thing to quit - but I'll worry about that after I get some time between me and my drunken debauchery.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm just 10 days sober after going thru some bad withdrawals and yesterday when I was on my way home I had to make a stop next door to a bar I used to go to and the thought of a drink crossed my mind, Good God I just had the most awful shakes a bit over a week ago, how easy we forget. I have to think everyday that I'm not going to drink, I'm not going to drink and remind myself of how sick I made myself. Anything worth having is worth fighting for. good luck
Old 11-20-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I would urge you not to wait until you feel better to start going to meetings if you are planning on starting going. There is no time like the present and going while you are in this place is the best thing you can do for you, especially if you have never made it through withdrawals before. It is wonderful your girlfriend is supporting you but just like SR there you will get people who have been where you are just now and have gotten through it. I am back early doors myself, the meetings have been invaluable. Everyone is different but i just think if you are struggling it may be an idea. You're on the right road... keep going!!
Old 11-20-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I drank mere days after being released from the hospital due to withdrawals. About a month later I was back in the hospital. That was several years ago and I'm 27 days sober today. Alcoholism is hell, I would get to a meeting and get some numbers while this experience is still fresh in your mind.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

try calling the AA hotline in your area. you can find it via google quite easily. they can see if someone can pick you up or at the very least you can talk to someone one on one. i've called the AA hotline while traveling just because the stress was pushing me hard. they're good people and can help you out. sending the girlfriend away may spare her some but don't leave yourself alone. if you're like me, being alone and in your head is the most dangerous place to be.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

How are you today maxpower?