Notices

where do you see yourself in five years

Old 11-20-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

where do you see yourself in five years

ive always struggled with this, as a recent (kinda) college graduate, i want to have a place of my own, nice car, blah blah but i just dont know how to get to that point i guess...

anyway

where do you guys see yourselves in 5 years?
Old 11-20-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

I'm confident I'll be sober in 5 years, but the rest of life is unpredictable. Rootin for ya.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i know thats number 1 priority, but i feel like i need to make better plans for the future, i just dont know the first step i suppose.. if you dont have a plan nothing will work out
Old 11-20-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I think for me building regular habits is where it starts …

Not drinking is the No1 .. then things like brush my teeth , wash every day , keep myself clean , keep my clothes shoes and surroundings clean , wake up early and be all washed and dressed to meet the day by 7 or 8 am . be honest , pay my bills .

Then it's find work … do a good job , look for opportunity to learn and apply myself better .

Slowly , slowly things come together … I often find my ambitions too much and this makes me depressed or anxious , so i try not to invest too much emotionally into them and keep my focus on what i can do here and now, today, then maybe tomorrow, next week or TOPS next month to keep myself well or build a little something.

Bestwishes, m
Old 11-20-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by thatslife View Post
.. if you dont have a plan nothing will work out
Well, there is such a thing as dumb luck.

But, I agree, it's better to have a plan. The handful of goals you listed are financial goals. I am a financial advisor, and I can tell you that MOST people have no idea how to make a plan. I'll give you the condensed version of my 'how to get started' speech...

You are going on a journey. In order to plan for that journey you need to know two very important things:
1. Where you are now
2. Where you are going

There are 2 parts to where you are now.
a. net worth= [(everything you have) - ( everything you owe)]
b. cash flows = [(everything you earn) - (everything you spend)]

Where you are going could have LOTS of parts (house, car, travel, retirement, college, boat, charitable giving, legacy, etc.). It's up to you to determine.

Write it all down - where you are now and where you are going. BE SPECIFIC! Things become clearer once you do.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

There are a lot of books, seminars, training, etc to help people set and meet their goals. Stephen Covey is one I'm familar with. There are others. Most entail identifying your values, what is important to you, then coming up with goals that align with those values.

You may not be aware of it, but as an addict you've already been doing it. I know that when my most important goal was getting and staying high, I succeeded at it. I devoted my time, money, energy, etc to meeting my goal.

I recovered the same way, making my sober journey the most important thing in my life. Not lip service, but truly the number one goal.

If you identify your goals, and they are aligned with your values, and you truly want it, you'll achive it.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

- hopefully a grandfather
- out of the rat race and consulting again
- living in western Massachusetts and growing my own food
Old 11-20-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'll just be happy to be alive and well

D
Old 11-20-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Try things you've never tried before. Maybe you might find a new direction. It sounds like you are confused in what direction to go. I sometimes find my direction by getting lost. Just food for thought. I see myself starting a new business, going to the beach, traveling, trying things I thought I never would, finding love, helping the community, and whatever else life has for me. Bring it on....! Money just buys things. True success is free, is from within your brain.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

In five years, I hope to like myself more than I do now.
To have finished my bachelor's degree.
To be well and not so hung up on what everyone else's opinion is of me.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sober. By the grace of God and my recovery program I'm confident about that.

Out of the rat race. At the ripe old age of 45ish.
Following my passions in work wherever they take me.
Caring for my senior citizen doggies who will both be 11 by then.
Living a simplified and minimal life vs. chaotic and cluttered with stuff.
Happy. Finally. After all these years

That's the plan anyway
Old 11-21-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This planning thing is what made me an alcoholic, I think. :-)

I have been sober for 7 months. I carry a 24 hour coin in my pocket all the time now. My group wanted me to have a 6 month coin, but I refused. I think the only thing that matters is the next 24 hours and doing the next right thing.

I really do not think that you can plan 5 years out. The best you can do is vague stuff anyway. The one thing I had to really get into my thick skull is that I HAVE NO CONTROL OVER MY LIFE. I have control over what I do, but not the results. It still has not totally sunk in, but it is getting there gradually. I mean for stuff to happen in your life in the next 5 years, whole bunch of other people have to do a whole bunch of things. To think that I can control that? No chance.

The best I can hope for is that I am still sober 5 years from now. I am reconciled with my family. I am a contributing member to society.