Notices

163 Days and weathering divorce

Old 11-20-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry 163 Days and weathering divorce

163 days sober today! Been married almost 10 years. I had a problem in the past with my wife's infidelity, after therapy and some structure things have been ok for about 2 years. Lately I have caught my wife breaking some of those limits set in therapy (personal relationships with men I don't know, lying about where she is). I confronted her and she is asking for a divorce. The point here is not about my marriage, the point is that I am not grabbing a drink. In the past when this stuff would happen I would get pulled down by it all and within an hour started looking for comfort in booze, which would make it worse in the long run. I have noticed that being 163 days clear of booze, I can handle this disaster with a certain amount of calm that I would never have had. Don't get me wrong,it still sticks. We have a 9 year old, and I have been trying to avoid the whole divorce thing for her sake. Stay clear of booze guys, it only makes the bad worse and saps your strength, I speak from experience.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi wizard, I am sorry that you are going thru a difficult time. But good for you that you recognize the damage that alcohol could cause at a time like this. You can deal with things so much better sober than you can drunk. Congratulations on 163 days!
Old 11-20-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Keep on

m
Old 11-20-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hate to mention this, but another reason to stay off the booze now, is incase the divorce gets messy and she uses it against you for child custody etc.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post! Thank you.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry things are so difficult for you right now. I'm glad you're staying sober tho.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Congrats on 163 Days! So sorry about the divorce and what is going on. Good for you for not turning to the booze.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You deserve a lot of credit man. Very well done. I wish I could praise you more, but I wouldn't want to beat a dead horse. From the rooms and the boards, I hear that deaths and breakups are probably the two biggest reasons for relapse. For some reason I'm getting a lot of anxiety just leaving the house to go run some errands today. What's been crossing my mind A LOT in the past 2 hours is to take some sort of benzo, and go and do my business. I understand that some people are prescribed benzos from their doctors because of medical reasons. For me, I might be prescribed them, but I abuse them too. Anyways, I don't want ramble on, but hearing your situation has put my situation in perspective. Thanks, and I hope that you continue to keep the same mentality as your situation moves on.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your situation but I'm glad you're staying sober

D