Notices

Trying to find balance with my feelings

Old 11-18-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to find balance with my feelings

I've placed some intentional distance between my ABF and myself. I'll have a year this weekend and I'm feeling like I spend more time being triggered, or sad, or mad, or confused because of his alcoholic behavior. I realized I'm just stressing myself out and compromising my sobriety. If I relapse I know in my heart I won't live given all that I have been through and come out of. My sober self knows that this is the right thing to do but my heart isn't as strong. This really sucks.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes it does suck. I'm dealing with an alcoholic husband and I am sober now.
It really is hard to put the two together, but you are so wise, just like the owl in your picture, to realize that he may be compromising your sobriety.

You are nearly one year in now, and I can honestly say it just gets better from there, or at least it did for me. At one year I knew I had changed myself and my ways and began really looking to creating the future I wanted. What kinds of dreams had you put aside drinking that you might want to get out again?
Old 11-18-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

some decisions are hard to make, but it sounds like you're coming to a conclusion?

Congrats on your almost year - I'd definitely want to build on that
D
Old 11-18-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

The decision you're making is clearly a tough one, but following your heart is the right thing to do.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A few years ago, my gf at the time drove after drinking, got into an accident, and injured the two people in the car she hit. She got a dui and other charges, and started to go to AA after that and has not drank since. I am only on day 16 now, but at the time I still drank after that happened, and she dumped me about three weeks after she got sober. I was pretty upset about it at the time, but now that I stopped drinking, I now understand why she broke up with me.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Go with your instincts. Your gut feeling, deep down. Sounds like you're choosing the path of sobriety and I'm sure you won't regret it.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Better man in progress!

You first, because if you go back to alcohol and even there you guys separate then u will deal with your day one once again PLUS the separation, id put all my money on you!

Keep it up