Notices

First time attempting sobriety

Old 11-17-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question First time attempting sobriety

New here and not really sure what I'm doing. Tomorrow I start detox from heroin. This will be my first attempt at sobriety. I'm pretty nervous, I've been an IV user for a little over two years :\ and before that I've been abusing something since 13. I guess I'm looking for someone I can talk to. Nobody in my life knows I'm an addict.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on making the choice to live a sober lifestyle. It's a bumpy road at first but so worth it! Have you consulted with your doctor regarding your use and decision to quit? I don't have any experience with giving up heroin. My DOC was hard liquor.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, onelove. What a brave move you are making. Keep checking in. Lots of support here and we all believe in you!
Old 11-17-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR onelove
Old 11-17-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone. Its awesome that places like this exist! I really wouldn't have anyone to turn to. I can't even begin to put into words how much I appreciate your support♥ I don't have health insurance so I'm going to try this at home, I have medication to help with withdrawls though. I know it won't be pleasant but I don't want it to be, more reasons to stay sober ya know? I'm mainly worried about after detox though. I plan on trying to find ways to be busy again, a job is #1 on my list. I really thank each of you for taking the time to let me know I'm not alone. You guys rock!
Old 11-17-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are definitely not alone here! The best part about this place for me was when I was having a really hard time in the first few weeks, there were people here to tell me it gets better who have actually been through it. Their support and understanding helped me tremendously.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovered

I would definitely have a well constructed plan. Not just for the withdrawal period, but especially for after.

I quit the needle many times, but always went back...because I did not have a PLAN. What is your plan to stay clean? What supports are in place?

I went to a counselor and she helped me make a plan. 4 years later I still follow that plan everyday. I don't think about using/drinking anymore, that's in the past. Life is great, but it doesn't just happen. We have to work at it. But it is well worth it!

Glad you are here.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah a plan definitely sounds like the way to go. Do you have any tips as to what parts of my plan should be? I haven't been working for the last few months so I plan on going back to work as soon as I'm through detox and back on my feet. I'm also trying to discover my spirituality. I've got a few books on meditation that I've started reading, I want to learn how to meditate and succesfully self reflect. Other than that get back into painting and gardening. And as soon as I have the finances figured out I want to go back to school. But I'm trying to make sure I don't overwhelm myself and set myself up for failure. Thank you for the great advice mfanch!
Old 11-17-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hi onelove! That's awesome you're ready to get healthy and start your sobriety!

Do you have any social supports in place? I know you said nobody in your life knows that you're an addict... and I understand; however, sometimes it's nice to have sober people in your life that you can turn to- have you ever been to NA?
Old 11-17-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recovered

I would read up on the different recovery methods (here on SR) and find the one that you are willing to follow. I know for me, I needed the support of others who understood what I was experiencing because they had been there. Quitting the demon is hard enough, no need to do it alone!

Some are:

Rational Recovery (RR)
Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) and Narcotics Anonymous (NA)
SMART Recovery
Lifering
Women for Sobriety (WFS)

Also, I set up some sort of accountability, because I needed it. I found a therapist who helped me write out the plan as well as provide accountability for me following it.

FOR ME, NA was triggering and there aren't many meetings in my area. So, I attend AA as well as engage in parts of RR. I am an atheist but that has not stopped me from finding happiness and sobriety in a 12-step program.

I have seen that any of the programs work if they are worked (ie action is taken). In other words, one has to actually carry out the directions they provide. Willingness is the key.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks mfanch! I'll start reading up on those. I've heard of SMART recovery so I think I'll start there. Once I'm working again I hope to join a yoga class or an art class where I can meet sober pepple and hopefully make a friend. I'm also going to look into NA meetings/ AA meetings but I think those might be a trigger for me too. I also think I should work the 12 steps. I haven't hurt any of my loved ones thankfully but I have distanced myself from them a lot. Nobody in my family has had any drug problems and once I'm sober I plan on telling them, I'm just not sure if it will have a good effect but I need to be honest with them and explain why I've been hiding. Thank you so much! ♥
Old 11-18-2013, 01:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well done hun I've no experience with drugs just alcohol. I wish u all the best for ur recovery and we are all in this together to help one another. I would Deffo start a plan maybe put goals down each day. You will get through this xxxxx
Old 11-18-2013, 01:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Better man in progress!

Your life will definetly be better im sure!!