Notices

Unnecessary worries? Please share them!

Old 11-17-2013, 02:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unnecessary worries? Please share them!

Before I decided to stop drinking, I had anxiety about many issues that never came to fruition. For example, I was sure that people would ask why I wasn't drinking. I've been to many events where alcohol was at the forefront, yet no one ever asked why I was drinking water. Not one single person.

In addition, I recently rejoined the dating pool (staying in the shallow end for now!), and I was certain that I wouldn't be as likeable without a bit of alcohol in my system. As it turns out, I guess I'm more likeable. Every single man has asked me out for a second date. Even though some of them are not my type, it flatters my ego. It's also nice to be able to remember our conversations several days later :-)

I think it might help newcomers to hear what worries they can nix. Please share!
Old 11-17-2013, 02:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

P.S. - The insomnia? Yes, that stuck with me. Every other negative issue has evaporated since I stopped drinking.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was worried that I would struggle to get to sleep. I used to get night terrors as a kid and I think I thought the alcohol helped me sleep. It was easy passing out when drunk but in the latter years of my drinking I used to get anxiety attacks as I was falling asleep. Apart from the first few weeks of sleepless nights I have never slept better than I do now sober. I used to fear going to sleep now I love it. It is one of the best things about being sober

I also thought I would be a completely different person sober. I'm not. I'm just not drunk.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I worry about everything. I mean everything. Right now I am worried about how I am going to fit 16 people at my dining room table for Thanksgiving. I wish I could stop but I just don't know how. I will have to keep an eye on this post to see if it helps me!
Old 11-17-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I, too, worried that I would get pressured a lot more to drink than I actually do. I worried that quitting would be a lot harder than it actually has been. (don't get me wrong, it is very hard, but I honestly thought it would be Mission Impossible) I worried that I would lose confidence, and not feel as self assured in public situations, but actually the opposite has happened. I feel more confident and controlled than ever. I worried that I would have a lot of anxiety, not being able to calm myself with a drink, but on a daily basis, I feel calmer and more at peace than I ever have felt. (I am on Day 50 of Sobriety - first 2-3 weeks were the roughest, 30 days was a rough patch, but now everything is looking and feeling really good!)