Notices

Euphoric feeling gone...

Old 11-16-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Euphoric feeling gone...

The beginning of my sobriety journey it was as though a veil had been lifted. Colour more vibrant, sunsets more beautiful each day full of possibility that kind of thing. I was seeing everything thru different eyes and was so grateful and excited for a life of sobriety.

I think that feeling faded for me a couple of weeks ago. Still grateful, not as excited... reality and the day to day grind has set in.

My mindset is not the same as I had a couple months ago, and although I miss it I know there is no point on dwelling on it. Accept the fact that I'm in a different place and keep on enjoying the sober journey, right?

Anyone else have a similar experience early in their sobriety?
Old 11-16-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Definitely. It's often referred to as the "pink cloud", I'm sure you can google it or perhaps you've heard of it. I had the same thing going on as well, and I rode that cloud and really enjoyed it...then one day everything went "poof", disappeared, and then I spiraled into some really angry/nasty depression that became very toxic.

You're not alone on this one. And you have really good instincts, it sounds like a good idea to just keep your head up and power through it. Things get better, they always do. It's hard to ride out those bad days, but as long as you're sober, and keep a safety net in place, you'll get through it.

The brain really takes a long time to "right the ship". I think the euphoric period is almost an over-compensation, or over-correction, much like when you're driving and you hit a large patch of ice. Just keep your hands on the wheel, you'll be back on solid ground in the end.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never had the pink cloud - not this time anyway.
I found it demoralising other times - but then I knew nothing about it and hadn't been expecting to feel so good.

The good news is stay sober and you'll find a new level of happiness peace and contentment that lasts through the various ups and downs of life

D
Old 11-17-2013, 12:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by zoey09 View Post
The beginning of my sobriety journey it was as though a veil had been lifted. Colour more vibrant, sunsets more beautiful each day full of possibility that kind of thing. I was seeing everything thru different eyes and was so grateful and excited for a life of sobriety.
I had the same experience. It was a taste of what sobriety is really like, or maybe what real sobriety is like as opposed to just being dry.

The first time round I didn't do anything with it, just tried to carry on life without booze. It soon went away and I became restless, irritable and discontent again and eventually drank.

The second time I threw myself into AA (the last resort your understand) worked the steps, had a spiritual awakening and guess what? It was exactly as you describe above, especially about seeing the world through different eyes. And it is still like that.

Being sober, for me, is not just about not drinking. That kinda life has no attraction for me, I tried it and always ended up back drinking. The life I have now is so much more worthwhile than the old one. I don't know about pink cloud, I think maybe it is living in God's grace.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Zoey

Indeed, I had that euphoric feeling very early into my sobriety. It went away after a few weeks. My emotions did go up and down after that but the big difference is that the intensity of the emotions were nothing like when I was drinking especially the negative ones. They feel manageable now. I am in early months still but I can describe my sense of self and emotions as being firmly grounded. I feel solid and calm. I am aware of how I feel right now and am alert to all my senses. There are so many little things that I enjoy now whence before I would have missed. So much to be grateful for in sobriety !!