SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Three days and counting... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/313674-three-days-counting.html)

DelicateDahlia 11-16-2013 08:05 AM

Three days and counting...

I never thought that drinking would become such a pivotal and large part of my life. I have always had an addictive personality and for that reason I never did try recreational drugs.

About two years ago, my husband started working a lot. He was away from the home for at least 18hrs a day. So on the rare occasion I would have a drink or two a couple times a week. I found that the buzz would keep my mind off of being lonely and made me feel "happy". Eventually, 1-2 drinks turned to 3-4 drinks and was taking place more frequently. Without realizing that I was drinking more, things progressed to the point where I was craving a drink by noon. Very rarely would I drink to the point of being wasted, but I was dependant on alcohol. I became forgetful and was reluctant to do things that I just to get enjoyment out of.

Wednesday morning I woke-up with a terrible headache (probably the 60th day in a row that this has happened), so I promised myself that I would not let alcohol rule my life any longer. I have told myself in the past that I need to stop, but that would normally only last a day or two. I am at the start of day four and I feel AMAZING!!! The past three days have had their ups and downs. I was tempted to have "just one" drink last night, but I knew where that would lead… I have started to do get back into baking (my fave thing to do), and I think that I will start running today (my second most fave to do).

I have not confided in anyone about my drinking problem, however, I am fairly certain that my friends and family have their suspicions. I know that there are going to be times that I need support, so that is why I have joined this forum.

Thanks for listening and taking the time to read the "Coles notes" version of my story.

Ruby2 11-16-2013 08:13 AM

Go dahlia! Three days is great. I also have an addictive personality so was scared to death to do drugs. Just the alcohol.

I'm on day five and it is getting better and better. Good to hear from you. Keep coming back.

FourSeasons 11-16-2013 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by DelicateDahlia (Post 4295080)
I was tempted to have "just one" drink last night, but I knew where that would lead…

Welcome DelicateDahlia! So glad you stumbled upon us!!! :ring

And... Congratulations on Day 4!!

It seems like you have finally accepted the simple truth that no matter how innocent "having just one" seems, it doesn't exist. There is no such thing and it is all a big fat lie!!!

Stick around, read and post. You will learn a lot here and you will discover that you are not alone in your struggles.

My best to you!!

hayley86 11-16-2013 08:48 AM

Welcome DelicateDahlia, congrats on day 4. This is a very good place for support and understanding. Best wishes :)

ZeldaFan 11-16-2013 08:58 AM

:welcome to SR! I'm glad you have joined us. It feels good to actually put it out there that you have a problem, doesn't it? It sure felt like a weight off my shoulders when I made my first post here. It sounds like you recognized your problem at a fairly early stage and that is fantastic! Trust me, you are making the best decision of your life getting off the drinking path now. No more headaches, forgetfulness and regret for you! Now you get to enjoy a clear head and delicious baked treats. :)

As for the drugs, I can totally relate. I had friends in the past who smoked weed a lot and I never did because I knew where that would lead. Darn addictive personality!

DelicateDahlia 11-16-2013 09:31 AM

Thanks to everyone for your kind and positive words :)

If is nice to know, that I have a place to come to where people can relate to me and support me in my times of need. I look forward to having others reach out to me as well :)

Brianv2 11-16-2013 09:40 AM

Thank you for sharing. Are you planning on telling your family? I haven't yet.

least 11-16-2013 11:07 AM

:welcome to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family. :hug:

DelicateDahlia 11-16-2013 12:14 PM

@Brianv2… I would have sent you a private message to answer your question but apparently I need to have 5 posts before I can send private messages. No, I do not plan on telling my family. For two reasons, I am embarrassed that I have let myself get this far and secondly, I don't want them to think any less of me.

Does anyone have any thoughts on my decision to not tell my family?