Notices

Had enough. Is it worth seeing a doctor?

Old 11-16-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Had enough.

Hi,

I've been drinking since I was 17 and now I'm 26. But for the past 18 months, I have been a heavy drinker. Drinking to the point of blacking out. I can knock back a disgusting amount of alcohol per night. I've done some things recently that are out of character, I was a sensible person yet I've put myself in danger which made me question why I even drink like this???

I've been drinking three litres of 5% cider almost every night. I obviously can't go on like this for much longer - my body is starting to pack up, I'm permanently tired, my stomach hurts, I wake up every morning with the shakes, my memory is hideous and my complexion is yellow. Noone really knows how much I drink because I do it late at night.

I've thought about seeing a doctor... I had my liver tested two years ago, before I used to drink so much, and the tests were abnormal so I'm terrified of what they will tell me.

Just need help and would love someone to talk to.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When you've been drinking that much it's wise to see a doctor or treatment to detox and avoid dangerous withdrawals, but you can't go on like that even at your age. Good luck.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome. You have good reasons to be concerned. We don't give medical advice here, except I would highly recommend you see a doctor.

Best to you.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi. we are not qualified to give medical advice. At AA meeting there are people to talk to and this site has much caring and suggestions.

The bottom line is don't drink, simple not always easy.

BE WELL
Old 11-16-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry, I've edited my post.
I just feel absolutely rotten today, more-so than ever before. It's like all the life's been washed out of me.

The thing I'm most worried about is what effect it will have if I see the doctor. I'm guessing it will be wrote in my medical records -- will this have any effect on my future career?
Old 11-16-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"The thing I'm most worried about is what effect it will have if I see the doctor. I'm guessing it will be wrote in my medical records -- will this have any effect on my future career? "

I don't think it will be anywhere as bad if you continue drinking.

BE WELL
Old 11-16-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

go and get yourself checked out by a Dr .. be honest with them , most of them have seen it all before .

welcome to SR .

m
Old 11-16-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Why would you ever tell an employer about your personal business, unless you're answering questions on an medical insurance form your private life is just that. And the effect of seeing a doctor is you will get help you could use. Alcohol withdrawals are dangerous.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zeppodog View Post
Why would you ever tell an employer about your personal business, unless you're answering questions on an medical insurance form your private life is just that. And the effect of seeing a doctor is you will get help you could use. Alcohol withdrawals are dangerous.
^I would never voluntarily tell them of my personal business, but I believe it's a requirement in some sectors to give consent to allow potential employers to view your medical records.

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
I don't think it will be anywhere as bad if you continue drinking.
Too true.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

See a doctor
Old 11-16-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

See a doctor ASAP. The mental strain from trying to self diagnose liver disease on the internet and matching up symptoms can take its toll. Better to suck it up, face that fear, listen to what the doc says, and stay sober.