Notices

Scared witless

Old 11-16-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared witless

Hello

I'm writing with the hope that I can get advice from someone who's been in my position. I haven't had a drink since 11/6/13 when my doctor told me my amylase was 123 and that I had to stop drinking immediately (I've drank heavily for 13 years). I'd gone to her due to pains in my upper right abdomen. My pancreas and liver looked normal on the Ultrasound and my liver enzymes were normal. She says I probably have mild Pancreatitis and if I stop drinking I should not develop chronic pancreatitis. I realize that's quite a lucky diagnosis compared to many but I'm terrified since I had the same thing in 2006 (I gave up drinking for a month because I thought it was an ulcer) and I know repeated episodes change the picture a bit. I've (thank God) never had an acute episode and hope I never will. I'm attending AA meetings and will never touch the poison again but would love to hear from people who have been through similar and hear their advice on healing.

Thank you so much

S
Old 11-16-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good food, vitamins, lots of exercise. The human body has an amazing ability to heal itself when you quit putting poison in it. Good luck
Old 11-16-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. My suggestion as a layman is simple, just don't drink and we get better. I'd also keep in touch with my doctor and do many meetings to develop good habits.

BE WELL
Old 11-16-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Sequin, congrats on stopping and you're doing great! You've almost reached two weeks and, trust me, it does get easier and easier. The first two weeks are the roughest.

What I can tell you from my experience is that you absolutely, positively, under no circumstances, want a case of full blown pancreatitis. I wish like hell I had stopped when my doctor first warned me I was having a mild episode. At that time it just felt like a worse version of my near-constant acid reflux/indigestion that I was living with anyway from drinking so I couldn't imagine it could get THAT much worse.

Boy oh boy was I wrong. I was hospitalized just around this time last year with full-blown acute pancreatitis and it was honestly the most painful thing I have ever gone through...and I am not at all squeamish about pain. Broken bones, ripped ligaments, burns, etc., NOTHING hurt as badly as having pancreatitis. It literally feels like your insides are on fire and there's nothing you can do to put them out. It left me with the nice beginning of a hole in my esophagus which is finally healing nine months after quitting drinking for good. My doctor told me that I was well on my way to chronic pancreatitis if I didn't stop drinking. I can't even begin to imagine that level of pain on a constant basis.

Sorry to scare you but that's kind of my point. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Luckily, if you stay stopped, you can likely expect a full recovery. Take good care of yourself, eat healthily (stay away from fatty food and junk food) and drink lots and lots of water and juice. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

But, most importantly, as Olive says, don't drink.

Glad to hear you're in AA and you sound really committed. Stick with us here and welcome to SR.

You have made the best decision of your life in quitting drinking. Both for your pancreas AND your peace of mind.

((Hugs))
Old 11-16-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Sequin welcome to SR.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've never had physical problems from alcohol, other than horrible withdrawals, so can't give any experience. Just wanted to welcome you to a very supportive site.