Notices

wine in fridge

Old 11-16-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It would be nice if they gave us their support Sunrise. But the thing with support sometimes is it comes in forms I don't always recognize. When my Mom was sick and I was taking care of both my aging parents, some days the best support I got was people just leaving me alone. That's when I learned that the minimum I require from my loved ones is just don't make my life harder. I try to do the same for them. If I can't help the least I can do is not make anything harder. Not much to ask for really.

I think support is a tricky affair. In the end, there is a lot of guessing. What if I need something but don't know what it is. Sometimes someone being positive is all it takes and sometimes I just need to vent or be left alone. Who gets to be the mind reader if I don't even know sometimes what I need? And what if they ain't around the exact moment I need it? That's what I like about SR. Somebody is always around that can help me when I need it. Helps lighten the load on my loved ones anyway.

This has always perplexed me. How can someone who says they love me NOT support me. I get they may not know how or what or when but come right out and be mean or try to underhand me. That's not love. Heck with that. That's all I got out of drinking. Broken promises and nothing but disappointment. Not saying that's what you have. I just have had that.

People can change but alcohol ain't going to. It will let me down every time just like it always did. Worst relationship I ever had.

I hope you can find a way to be okay with quitting and helping your relationship. One thing at a time maybe.

Don't give up!!!
Old 11-16-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

in the last year and a half since I've been on sr, my partner has surprised me in good and not so good ways. we are a work in progress. one thing I had to do is check the past behavior at the door. i'm changing, I need to give my partner the benefit of the doubt and allow her to change (or sometimes not) as well.

best case scenario: your husband will be kind and supportive.
worst case scenario: he will be neither.
unfortunately, there is only one way to find out.

even if the worst happens and he keeps bringing you wine, it's up to you not to drink it. our loved ones don't pour the booze down our throats. it's up to us to make the right choices. having the support of friends, a group, counseling, however you want is the best thing to help you continue to make the right choices. you can do this!
Old 11-16-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I know exactly how you feel - I expected at least someone to notice anything at all. Stay strong <3
Old 11-16-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I could see a bottle close to me - I picked it up - hurried to the sink and tipped it down - my AV was trying to tell me that it wouldn't hurt
Old 11-16-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

SunRiseSky- I also didn't tell my husband when I quit. He didn't notice that I didn't have a beer in my hand every night for nearly a week, when he said to me "aren't you drinking anymore." I said "no". He said "ok". And that was it.

I didn't tell my spouse, not because he would sabotage me and not because he wouldn't be supportive but rather because this was something I wanted to do by myself, for myself.

I have been sober for over 5 years. Last week I was rearranging the furniture and found 2 bottles of champagne in a cabinet, probably left over from New Year's Eve from years ago. I opened them to dump them down the drain and it almost put me over the edge. I wanted to drink it. The smell of that champagne was calling my name, and I have been sober for 5 years, 4 months & 15 days for me. I was shocked. So, if you do decide to dump it, please be careful. Good luck.