Notices

Unsure

Old 11-15-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unsure

Hello.
Is this a forum exclusively for those that have abstained from alcohol. Or are practicing alcoholics allowed to contribute/seek advice?
Old 11-15-2013, 10:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome.

You don't have to been "sober" to post here.

What's up?
Old 11-15-2013, 10:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Simple. My drinking is killing me. My doctor told me. I already knew it. My life is suffering from it in other ways. I would like to interact electronically with others in my situation, given my social retardation.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Thorsapprentice

SR is a forum for those recovering from or struggling with alcohol and substance abuse addictions, and help for family and friends whos lives have been affected by someone else's addiction.

it's good to have you here

do you have any idea on how you might quit?
D
Old 11-15-2013, 11:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Indeed. Leave all and everyone behind me and focus on self. This method is alluring but will cause the breakdown of relationships I've worked hard to cultivate. Also children are involved, so selfishness is not an option.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think there's a number of points between complete change and no change at all.

If your life is as booze centric as mine was, there will need to be some level of change.

I put relationships before my own health for many years - I kept drinking, my health suffered and I lost the relationships anyway....

D
Old 11-16-2013, 12:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Perhaps. But should I lose my children just so I can become sober? They're more important than my own self inflicted anomalies
Old 11-16-2013, 12:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

No, I never suggested anything of the sort

My point was between 'no change' and 'losing my children' there's a multitude of changes that you could conceivably make

D
Old 11-16-2013, 12:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thor, please explain how you would need to lose your children to become sober. Usually, people get sober so they won't lose their children. Just trying to understand your situation.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thorsapprentice View Post
Perhaps. But should I lose my children just so I can become sober? They're more important than my own self inflicted anomalies

No one says you have to lose your children. What have you considered?

Detox, Treatment. AA?

I did all three, my son was thrilled to have his Mom back. A sober, clear headed Mom who remembered the conversations with him.

Recovery doesn't take us away from our families, it brings us back to them.

Alcoholism took us away from our families. Emotionally, mentally and often physically.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sorry. Didn't intend to inflame people. The loss of children would come from walking away. Not any other means. Sorry sunrisesky.

AA is not an option due to my religious convictions. A higher power is not evident in my existence. Sorry
Old 11-16-2013, 12:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sorry. You guys are Christians.
I've made a mistake. Long life to you all
Old 11-16-2013, 12:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

The loss of children would come from walking away.
I figured that's what you meant

Like others have said it's about rebuilding and improving our lives not destroying them. We do enough of that when drinking.

There's a lot of us here who are not 12 steppers - myself included.
There's a lot of non Christians too

I hope you stay.

Read around, find people you connect with - the most important step is to decide if you want to quit - if yes, then you can look for the right support

I recommend you also visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

D
Old 11-16-2013, 12:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sorry. You guys are Christians.
I've made a mistake. Long life to you all

Thors, u ok? Did someone say we are all christians? I am a Christian but that doesn't mean you offended me or anything. You have a right to believe whatever you choose. AA is one route that works for millions. I wouldn't rule it out if you do not find your own solution. Just find a solution. Ask others how they are doing it. There are a few successful routes to sobriety. No requirements here friend.No one is gonna force you to take a certain route. Just suggestions.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes im ok. Sorry deeker. The Lord is a fickle being. Please read Leviticus in its entirety.

I'm trying to connect with other pissheads. People who are destroying themselves for perceived real world problems. Not issues associated with their souls ascension to an imagined place.

I didn't intend dissension from the subject. Though I've been a party to it. What I am trying for is a pertinent discourse with a fellow drunk that can point me in the right direction.

Sorry for the ********
Old 11-16-2013, 02:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Honestly, all we want is what you want - an end to the madness.

If you want a no nonsense non meeting based secular approach you might like to google AVRT, or if you want face to face meeting based secular support look up SMART or Lifering

D
Old 11-16-2013, 04:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

What I am trying for is a pertinent discourse with a fellow drunk that can point me in the right direction.
Welcome to SR, Thorsapprentice!

If this is what you are really looking for, then Congratulations! You have found it. SR is the place for you. We are all fellow drunks trying to figure out the best plan to achieve one shared goal. That shared goal is long-lasting sobriety.

I hope you will stick around, read and post. SR has been invaluable to me on my road to recovery. I feel confident you will feel the same if you give us a chance!

All my best to you!
Old 11-16-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Not a Christian here. I've gotten sober through reaching out to people here at SR, getting professional counseling (yes, that's a terrifying step to take) and doing my own research on the scientific basis of the disease.

I've been a member for over a year and while many here are Christians, I have never felt that anyone has tried to push a religion on me. Instead, the focus has overwhelmingly been on offering support to those struggling to get sober through a variety of different methods.

Much like anything else in life, SR is worth about as much as you put into it. As others have said, if you are serious about getting sober, and it's something that is taken deadly seriously here, you'll find heaps of great ideas, support and advice here. All the best to you on your travels and journeys!
Old 11-16-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have never gone to AA, and I have received tremendous support here to help me become sober.

Welcome and look around at forums and you will find people who understand you. We all understand the addiction.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I struggle with the higher power thing and do not belong to AA, but have been sober for ten years, so there are alternatives.