Notices

Anyone in recovery for 20 plus years of addiction?

Old 11-15-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone in recovery for 20 plus years of addiction?

Hello,
This is my first chat room so bear with me. I am curious if anyone has recovered from polysubstance abuse ( alcohol, prescription amphetamines and pain pills) and if they have how are they feeling now?
Old 11-15-2013, 09:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Bella

do you mean recovered from 20 years of substance abuse? you'll find a lot few people here like that.

I was a drinker and addict for nearly 30 years. SR really helped me turn my life around.

There is a full and happy life without getting drunk or high

D
Old 11-15-2013, 09:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What is normal?

I am wondering what the first year is like - is it normal to just be blah & lazy & going through everything you did while high? It is like dragging the biggest, heaviest cross of regret, it's like my brain recorded everything I can't possibly make amends for.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My first year was filled with ups and downs.

Without a doubt, for me, the best thing and what kept me sober was how I felt when I woke up each morning. No regrets, no shame, no guilt; no desperately trying to remember what the heck I did, said, or who I offended; no reliving over and over the shame of making a fool out of myself. I hated that feeling. To this day, over 5 years after getting sober, I still shutter when I think about that.

I can't say its been easy, and yes it was blah and lazy at times but was it worth it.... YES!
Old 11-15-2013, 09:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Greetings!
My first year was spent pulling my life and that of my girls back together. I was married to an alcoholic who we left several times due to domestic violence. He was periodically violent and regularly mean, drunk or sober. I had dealt with it by drinking myself.

Thru a family member, I started and stayed with AA. I knew my problems were due to alcohol, his and mine. I thought AA would show me how to drink but it showed me, instead, how to live. I owe my life to AA and would never suggest anyone 'going it alone' .

Life on life's terms has sometimes been a great struggle but my Sobriety, and how I protect it thru AA, has been my priority and all that happened, I can see now, was and is according to God's Plan. My best to all, Sober and trying to become Sober.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Bella!
Welcome! If I add them all up I drank pretty much drank in the double digits. Don't feel alone. My first posts on here were filled with regret and self loathing. I felt like I would never feel good again. But...I had 10 years sober before so I knew for a fact it could be done and it was so so much better.

I'm about 9 months now and it's improved so much. It was hard at first. Physically and the emotional roller coaster ride and I had some messes to clean up too.

Hang around. Read and jump in when you feel up to it. You will get nothing but support from people just like us. It's nice to have people who understand. They're here.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

22 years..

6 years then 2 years out, 12 years then 2 years out....back

It always got better and then it always got worse