Notices

Hi returning to work?

Old 11-15-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi returning to work?

Hi, I'm new to this site and seeking some advice, I went to rhab for alcoholism in july and apart from one relapse have been sober since. I'm really feeling ready to return to work and was offered a job today!!!, feel great about this but am worried about occupational health, do I declare that I had a previuous problem?, I also have depression and generalized anxiety disorder but am controlling these well with meds and Cognative behavioural therapy. My instinct tells me not to declare I worked with these problems for years before and am pretty confident that I'm able to do this part time job without it causing a relapse or further problems????. Would really appreciate some advice

Thanks xx
Old 11-15-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

By occupational health do you mean health insurance?

Is that why you have to declare?

This is just me, but I would not lie. It has the potential to come back and bite you and could leave you in legal trouble and without health insurance.

Congratulations on getting a new job and I wish you the best.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not a counselor of any kind or any kind of expert but I wouldn't say anything about my personal business to an employer unless it directly had to do the job, like can you use a computer? can you lift 100#? anyway just my opinion and I worked for 43 years. good luck
Old 11-15-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Linny

I really feel for you and I do know how how awful depression is. I know the feeling when everything is just dark and there is no light in the tunnel.
I have been so many time at the place where ending it just seemed like the better option, crazy. You know why? The tide does turn, it gets better, nothing last forever as you say, and your dark mood will shift too.
Apart from talking to your doctor and see what is the right medication for you if you need it, I can really recommend reading about buddhist teachings, and history, not all the worlds problems are yours. Its your precious life and yours only. Take care of yourself.
|You are a star xx
Old 11-15-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Linny, posted to you by mistake,was replying to another post, sorry, am not so tech savvy
either way, I am not sure what advice to give you regarding disclosing intimate details to a new employer, for me living in crazy London I would not know what is best for you. Hope you find your answer here
Anna
Old 11-15-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dont disclose any health problems to an employer, unless it is strictly necessary. The employer does not need to know your personal issues and you are not obliged to disclose them. It is better for both. I assume that you are not talking about health insurance, because if you dont say the truth in the insurance form, the insurance may be void