Notices

My recovery

Old 11-15-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My recovery

I thought I would share what I'm doing for sobriety. Just to warn you, I'm going to talk about God and Jesus and the Bible and stuff. First, a little background:

I tried to moderate my drinking a lot in the recent years, and discovered a lot of things about my relationship with alcohol when my drinking started escalating and causing problems. As a Christian, I believed it was wrong to drink too much, but I just couldn't seem to control how much I drank for very long. I started considering for the first time that I was an alcoholic, and attempted to quit a few times. I still thought that control was something I could eventually achieve, and that if I took a long enough break, I would "reset" my drinking habits and become a moderate drinker. Fast forward through a bunch of back and forth behavior, and I finally accepted that I can't ever be a moderate drinker, and have to quit forever.

Once it was clear that I couldn't drink, there was only one thing for me to do: not drink. The reason I believe this is all I have to do, is because of my faith. Christ died to set me free, and my freedom is something I have now, not something I have to try to obtain. A few verses that support my belief:

Galatians 5:1 - It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

2 Corinthians 3:17 - Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.

John 8:36 - So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

John 8:32 - Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.

Galatians 5:13-14 - For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.

I am free to never drink again, because my freedom was purchased by Jesus! My only plan now is to wait for my brain chemistry to go back to normal from all the drinking I've done, and praise God in the meantime. (And to call on Him for strength if I'm ever tempted to drink again.)

Thanks for reading!
Old 11-15-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. For me spirituality and working the steps is critical to living a good sober life.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was not raised with any religion or handed down notions about God.

I was able to to start from scratch. It was not hard all for me to believe in a power greater than myself and as I continue on my journey, my HP becomes more defined. I call him God by default but I could just as easily call him Steve. It does not really matter his name as long as I turn it over to him and pray for willingness.

By quitting drinking I am free, to remain that way I turn the power over to him because in reality, it was never mine to begin with.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing dreamr. I'm glad that you have a faith that is helping you in recovery.

I'm not religious as such, but I do have a faith in a power greater than myself, and that is fundamental to my sobriety too.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

dreamr ,
I believe that if you put your faith in it wholeheartedly, are forgiving, humble and true, personal transformation is possible

Bestwishes, m
Old 11-15-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I respect everyone's freedom to believe what they choose, and am grateful that I have freedom to express my beliefs as well.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dreamer awesome post. Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-15-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dreamr View Post
I thought I would share what I'm doing for sobriety. Just to warn you, I'm going to talk about God and Jesus and the Bible and stuff. First, a little background:

I tried to moderate my drinking a lot in the recent years, and discovered a lot of things about my relationship with alcohol when my drinking started escalating and causing problems. As a Christian, I believed it was wrong to drink too much, but I just couldn't seem to control how much I drank for very long. I started considering for the first time that I was an alcoholic, and attempted to quit a few times. I still thought that control was something I could eventually achieve, and that if I took a long enough break, I would "reset" my drinking habits and become a moderate drinker. Fast forward through a bunch of back and forth behavior, and I finally accepted that I can't ever be a moderate drinker, and have to quit forever.

Once it was clear that I couldn't drink, there was only one thing for me to do: not drink. The reason I believe this is all I have to do, is because of my faith. Christ died to set me free, and my freedom is something I have now, not something I have to try to obtain. A few verses that support my belief:

Galatians 5:1 - It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

2 Corinthians 3:17 - Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.

John 8:36 - So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

John 8:32 - Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.

Galatians 5:13-14 - For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.

I am free to never drink again, because my freedom was purchased by Jesus! My only plan now is to wait for my brain chemistry to go back to normal from all the drinking I've done, and praise God in the meantime. (And to call on Him for strength if I'm ever tempted to drink again.)

Thanks for reading!

I'm new to all this, but I think you're missing a couple important points. Jesus may water your crops, but you shouldn't expect him to till the crops when it's work you're capable of (Celebrate Recovery step work). And as far as I'm aware, Jesus is pretty big on us helping our Brothers. I'm sure your church's CR program would benefit from your participation.
Again, I'm no one to judge, if what you describe works for you, great. I only have 20 days sober, and less time than that being involved in a Christian church & recovery program, I don't claim to know much.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoJimmy View Post

I'm new to all this, but I think you're missing a couple important points. Jesus may water your crops, but you shouldn't expect him to till the crops when it's work you're capable of (Celebrate Recovery step work). And as far as I'm aware, Jesus is pretty big on us helping our Brothers. I'm sure your church's CR program would benefit from your participation.
Again, I'm no one to judge, if what you describe works for you, great. I only have 20 days sober, and less time than that being involved in a Christian church & recovery program, I don't claim to know much.
Thank you for your input. I'm all for people supporting each other and I have nothing against CR, but there is nothing in the Bible that suggests I can only have freedom by doing step work.

I'm not expecting God to take over my limbs and control me. I still have a part to play, and that's not picking up a drink. I also plan on addressing issues that made me want to drink in the first place, as God reveals them to me (which He's already been doing).

I'm sure the program is extremely helpful to a lot of people, so I don't mean to discredit it. I just don't believe it's the only way, or a requirement to be free from alcohol. I do have support, I just get it from people like my mom, my sister, and my husband.

Congrats on 20 days, I wish you all the best!
Old 11-15-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoJimmy View Post
And as far as I'm aware, Jesus is pretty big on us helping our Brothers. I'm sure your church's CR program would benefit from your participation.
I overlooked that part. I agree, and I want to help others. I don't think I should do it at CR though, I would probably get into trouble telling people they were already free.