Notices

want to try guiting Zoloft

Old 11-15-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sgs

want to try guiting Zoloft

3 months sober and feeling good--minor sad thoughts and all but generally good. I have taken generic Zoloft for 3 years with an 8 month break in the middle. I also did not tell my doctor how much I drank. Anyway, I feel good now so I don't know if it is working because I am sober or if I just don't need it because my anxiety was due to my non acceptance of my drinking and doing lots to cover up. My doc is a PA and I have not exhibited any really crazy symptoms accept a lot of stress. So do you guys think I should give tapering off a try????
Old 11-15-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I tapered Zoloft from a somewhat high dose. I think you should involve your doctor in your desire to taper. Antidepressants can and often do have withdrawal symptoms you need to be aware of.

AS someone who has been sober for three years yet medicated fro depression for the past 23, I can say it can be a good thing to see what life is like medicated. I did experience crushing depression during tapering and when finally off, but at six months off medication I do find myself able to deal better with the situation.

Tread carefully. I think reading about withdrawal and be a good and bad thing. Most who post online about their experience are those having a very hard time weaning from and living off medication. I think the folks who get off the drugs with little problem are't very inclined to post about it.

Just beware of a potential placebo effect -- you read of symptoms others have and can then manifest them in yourself.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Why don't you discuss it with your doctor? Be honest with him/her on how you used to drink, about being sober now etc. and make a plan with him/her?
Old 11-15-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Definitely ask your Dr's opinion

D
Old 11-15-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EndGame

Medication is always a difficult issue, and many of us seem to unnecessarily complicate matters.

I've suffered from major depression for about twenty years, and each time I weened myself off the meds, I'd spiral into a deep and protracted episode of depression. I've been fine with it for several years, including during my three-year relapse, but I don't want to go into that lion's den again.

I've learned over the years in my work that the "weird" feelings that many people report while taking anti-depressants and anxiolytics is what most people would describe as feeling "normal" or even "happy." It's a clinical reality, and no big secret in my field, that many people simply prefer being anxious or depressed instead of living life on a more even keel. There are many known reasons for this, but this is neither the time nor the place to present a dissertation on the subject.

Much as many people who choose the chaos, drama and ruination that come with alcoholic drinking, there are those among us who are unwilling to or incapable of surrendering their psychopathology. It's just the way we're built.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I take zoloft and have for about 15 years. I tapered off under my doctors supervision, but became very depressed. I've noticed it's more effective since I no longer drink…..which might be why you feel good and you might not need it. I'd defiantly speak with your doctor.