Notices

Howdid you get through your 1st sober weekend?

Old 11-15-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Howdid you get through your 1st sober weekend?

This is my first weekend in decade - how did you all get through and manage??
Old 11-15-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do some things that don't go well with drinking ( I do remember that's challenging at first!). Exercise, a movie, a museum. Come on here a lot if you don't want to hit meetings.....I think it's important to communicate with other people fighting the same fight you are....not just early on. Stay plugged in to some kind of recovery network: our addictions do their best work on us when we're alone.

Good luck, let us know how it's goin' !!
  # 3 (permalink)  

i enjoyed the feeling of being clear headed and enjoyed quality time with my family instead of being buzzed.
I left my bank card at home when i went to work too, just incase of temptation
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi 3daysfree,

The first weekend was the toughest and before I went into it I made the decision that there wasn't a choice to drink so I had to find ways around it.

I came on here and posted, watched a movie, read, did anything that I could to get through it. There were some periods where I had a pissy attitude for a little bit but I rode it out.

What was great was waking up in the morning feeling good and not having to spend more than half the day in bed recovering.

Stick close this weekend! You CAN do this!
Old 11-15-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I took it one day at a time. Told myself each day that no matter what, I wasn't drinking that day. I also went to bed early since late night was a primary drinking time for me. If I couldn't fall asleep, I hugged my pillow for hours till I did. Every day's goal was to just make it to tomorrow.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Everyone has their own way. I approached the weekend and still do,with one goal in mind . I must not drink! I must not drink! No matter what there are no excuses. If you control your mind in this positive way than I think it is harder for your mind (or AV) to try and control you.

I find my mind to be like a child. If you are 100% in your decision it is unlikely to challenge that decision. I agree also it is so important to stay on here as much as possible, take inspiration wherever possible. You definitely can do this, there is no doubt about that,

Another tip I picked up here is chocolate or ice cream. These really helped me to keep my addictive head in place! Keep,us posted on your progress. You will be thankful Monday morning believe me. Best of luck
Old 11-15-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just stayed home and did stuff around the house all weekend. Stayed as busy as I could, idle time isn't good. Making lists is good too, check off as you go, more do, less think.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Weekends are very hard because that's when we feel we should reward ourselves, or kick back and relax, and booze has been a big part of that reward and relaxation.

I had to break the usual cycle altogether: get up early and go for a long walk, meditate or listen to positive affirmations on YouTube, and most important for me was to religiously put dinner in the crock pot in the morning since having wine while fixing dinner was formerly thought of as the best part of my day, weekend or otherwise.

Avoid situations and people that might set off your triggers. Go to a meeting even if you don't feel like going. Make a list of what you have to be grateful for and what you have to look forward to. Total up how much $$$ you've saved by not drinking and go buy yourself a little treat.

Coming up will be Sober Weekend #5 for me and they are getting easier. Hang in.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i went to as many AA meetings as i could - thankfully there was an AA dance that first weekend, i turned my keys over to someone and just hung on tight to the group that let me tag along!
Old 11-15-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I did it by going to a meeting and then sitting in my living room reading the Big Book, and Living Sober. I considered it an investment in my future, and it has paid me back more than I ever dreamed it could. Spent a few months of weekends like that. I had faith that I had much more to gain than what it felt like I might be missing.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It was a rough time, but I slept. Walking the dogs really helped! Laid in the warm Summer grass and prayed really hard. I mean 'really' hard. Got 100 days today so I guess I did something right
Old 11-15-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hybernated. My house had been cleaned out of alcohol. I had a Harry Potter movie marathon, cuddled with my dogs, ate a TON of ice cream and came to this site. The first few months are difficult. I had a lot of PAWS symptoms and was really depressed. Do what feels right to you. If you fell like a walk, go for a walk. If you need to lounge and sleep all weekend, do it. Good luck!
Old 11-15-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Have a PLAN. Meetings! Food! Movies! Books!
Old 11-15-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Lots of meetings and reading!
Old 11-15-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I spent a ridiculous amount of time here at SR during my first weekend sober. It worked for me.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

These are AWESOME suggestions everyone! You have all made it through a first weekend and it gives me hope and I feel I can do this -
My new reward system will now be NOT WINE but the money I save from not drinking it - in 6 days I have earned $72 dollars - I'm going to reward myself with a great new pair of sneakers tomorrow!
Old 11-15-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yes, chat on here, cook a great meal or go see some movies. I want to watch the new hunger games good luck and I wish you well xx
Old 11-15-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Well, I'm not very strong and so I checked myself into an in-patient detox program. A doctor prescribed something for anxiety, and it also made me drowsy so I pretty much slept the first weekend.

I remember going to an AA meeting held in the facility on Sunday evening. I planned on AA being part of my recovery when I got home, and so this was a good introduction to the program. My feeling about the meeting was, "This is something I can handle."

We did ninety meetings in ninety days when I got home (my wife quit too). One of the fantastic "tools for recovery" I got was a phone list of folks who would help me if ever I needed it.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Playstation and lots of water!
Old 11-15-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Buying sneakers is a great choice. Who knows maybe a nice walk in your new kicks can fill another hour or so. The key to my first few weekends was to have a plan. Something to look forward to and even prepare for. If you going shopping, maybe clean out your car tonight so its nice and fresh. I now have over 5 months and am starting to get bored. Definitely stay hydrated and well fed.