Notices

Hello

Old 11-15-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Hello

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and I'm not sure what to say. I'm struggling with my feelings alot and I love my beer thinking it will sooth the feelings. I guess I'm medicating. I came here to see how others handle there feelings and I want to stay sober doing it. So I'm looking forward to posting with you all and learning.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As you screen name sings, "nothing compares...." To sobriety. Get excited get a plan, a support system in addition to SR, and get ready to learn things about yourself you never knew.

While this adventure will have many difficult times the good outweighs the bad! Welcome to SR
Old 11-15-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Sinead! Welcome! This is a wonderful place to be, full of support and ideas. Read around and post as much as you want!
Old 11-15-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for the warm welcome. I feel I've found a "place" where this square peg DOES fit the round hole. I love my popcorn too.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

SineadOConnor
Old 11-15-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Sinead. I love this place. I haven't always remained sober.......but, i've always came back. There is an honesty here that unless possibly heaven, or wherever else you believe in, I don't think exists anywhere else.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

Originally Posted by SineadOConnor View Post
I came here to see how others handle there feelings and I want to stay sober doing it.
You just have to learn that feelings have to be experienced, good and bad, with no retreat from the bad ones. Bad feelings can make us suffer, but not as bad as drinking can. Feelings are just thoughts; thoughts can be controlled. Most importantly, thoughts aren't real.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You've come to a very supportive place if you're ready to quit drinking.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've heard

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Welcome to SR.

You just have to learn that feelings have to be experienced, good and bad, with no retreat from the bad ones. Bad feelings can make us suffer, but not as bad as drinking can. Feelings are just thoughts; thoughts can be controlled. Most importantly, thoughts aren't real.
I've heard this but I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around it. Maybe I should get honest here, but maybe I'm posting in the wrong spot.
First of all thank u for the welcome. I truly believe I'm grieving and I'm very lost. I just put my mother in an assisted living facility and I'm living in her home. I know I have too much time on my hands and my social life is rather nil. Surely, I could go to AA but I have difficulty with the program. It doesn't seem to be a fit. Its like a wet suit. Although in my heart of hearts, I know life can be lived without medicating. Without feeling sorry for myself I get up every day doing the drill but have a lot of inner emotional pain. Sooooo my dear new friends, I'm going to go through the pain instead of around it and NOT moisten it with hops. I guess the first step was to dare to share.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Sinead, this is a really supportive place. Glad you have joined us.