Notices

I don't have time for AA!!!!

Old 11-14-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The local AA here is a bit far away so SR has worked just as well. I definately never intended to take meetings every day, it would have been a once or twice a week thing if any. The support gained from AA, SR or any other group of people who are on the same page as you are is truly valuable for sobriety.

But it should not hog away time where it is little or needed for other things. There are a lot of people who succeed without AA too.

Since the 12 steps was mentioned here, I think I've taken step 1 myself. Oh wait, I certainly have. The rest after that step for me has been work, psychology, patching up a tormented soul and repairing my life.

Only real advice I could give is avoid stress. And this means stressing about AA. Maybe you can do sometime when you actually have a lot of time on your hands and use it to reinforce your sobriety. Sounds like a deal to me.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I didnt go to ANY meetings for like eight months. None. Zero. Zip.

Anyone who tells you that you HAVE to go to a meeting every single day is a zealot.

Sadly there are some sponsors who get a little taste of being an authority figure, and get a big ego.

In my experience, the older members, who have a lot of time under their belts, are less pushy than the newbies who are still pretty fresh themselves, and only stress what helped get THEM sober.

If AA meetings are adding a huge stress to your life, its not helping your sobriety.

I have gone because I WANT to go, and that has made me want to go to MORE, not the other way around.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The bottom line is you have to do what works for you.

The choice to stay sober doesn't change if you do not attend meetings.

My 1st couple weeks into being sober had me looking for help all over the place. Long story short I never have been to any meetings or have taken any medication.

Staying sober is a positive & powerful choice. If you want to be sober you will regardless of what anyone says or does.

My sobriety date is 7/20/13.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

From aaonline.net:

AAOnline.net has open "facsimile" real time AA topic meetings for Alcoholics on the WWW. It has 38 Online Alcoholics Anonymous meetings per week and plans to add more. Approximately 55 to 85 people flow through the room during any one meeting. Average attendance per meeting is 62. All recovering alcoholics, or anyone with a desire to stop drinking with a Flash 7 (or above) Enabled Browser can attend the Meetings.

Online meeting schedule:

8:30am Every Day
1:30pm Weekdays
6:30pm Every Day
9:30pm Every Day
3:00pm Weekends
Beginner's 9:30pm Monday
(all times in Eastern Time)

Your sponsor sounds a little overbearing. There is nothing emotionally healthy about feeling pulled in 23 directions and feeling exhausted all the time.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:50 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
~sb

Alcoholics are undisciplined. My sponsor suggested I commit to a specific number of meetings and make that commitment each week. It's not about the meetings, it's about a relationship with a higher power.

I make 2 meetings a week and meet with my sponsor one night a week. I sponsor someone and meet with her one day a week. That's 4 days for me (sometimes I only make my home group meeting). Working on a relationship with my higher power is daily, but I don't need to drive anywhere for that!
Old 11-15-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Anchorbird, I know where you are at. It is stressful to go through that. Hard on you and your daughter. I was going to a 6 a.m. Meeting everyday but stopped once kids were in school because I could not go to the meeting, come home, get kids ready for school, me ready for work and out the door on time. My AH is usually home but completely useless lately and will not help.

Do you have early evening meetings around you? Or lunch time meetings?

Take care of yourself. Talk to your sponsor.