Notices

Newcomer To Sobriety

Old 11-14-2013, 05:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Newcomer To Sobriety

My name is Lisa. I am 28 years old, and I have been an alcoholic pretty much since I picked up my first drink at age 12. I didn't start abusing alcohol then, but I must admit I loved it right away. I've done a lot of different drugs, but they had no pull on me whatsoever, when compared to alcohol. They say that the definition of a true addict is when your using has bad, and sever consequences, and yet you continue to use anyway. Well I can honestly say this was the case for me. It caused me to have anxiety, poor social interactions, and my relationships with loved ones suffered. I am only 2 and a half weeks into the recovery process. I have tried quitting in the past, but wasn't quite there yet I guess. Well I feel I am ready for positive changes now, and I am willing to put in the leg work, and time to make this dream a reality!
Old 11-14-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Chicamilo. I'm only 3 days in but my story sounds similar. You are in a good place. The forums are helpful. I have printed out the book list and have some in queue.
Stay for a while.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lisa -- chicamilo

SR is an integral part of my recovery along with AA, Alanon, and smoking cessation.

Keep reading and posting, soon many people will be welcoming you.

May good health and sobriety be swift.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome chic congrats on 2 1/2 weeks. Hang out in the Newcombers ALOT it's a great distraction as well as an invaluable support system.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Lisa, congrats on two and a half weeks. This is a really good place for support. I'm glad you have joined us.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you. You say you are over two weeks sober. I think you have already completed the hardest part...deciding to quit. I am 8 days sober myself. You may wan to try what I'm doing and that is to recognize your "triggers.' What makes you want to drink or get high. Once you know these, you can make a plan to attack them in non destructive ways. Browse this board for valuable input and experiences from people just like you. Keep it up and good luck.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Lisa! Welcome, so nice that you have found us! I am 26 and SR has helped keep me sober for over 2 months now. There is so much support available. You can do this! Posting on this site takes courage. Glad you are here
Old 11-14-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcomes!! I feel confident that I joined the right community.