Notices

Slipped on Day 11

Old 11-13-2013, 10:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Perfectionism is also really hard to overcome, but I need to let some things go if I am going to make this.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Since letting go of the control and having to be perfect at everything, boy, life is so much more simpler I can tell you that. It amazes how the little things just don't bother me anymore.

Okay you relapsed. Just like many of us here have. It happens and the important thing is to learn from it. You have 10 days sober that no one, not even you, take away from you. Focus on what kept you going those 10 days. Turn the negatives into positives.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know you can do this Victoria - if you have decided you'll never drink again, thats a real turning point

I think the way will be a little easier from here

D
Old 11-13-2013, 10:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, I dont want to post any more relapse-threads here, it is embarrassing but at the same time I need to be completely honest and take all the advise I can get. On to Day 2....
Old 11-13-2013, 10:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Victoria74 View Post
Thanks Dee, I dont want to post any more relapse-threads here, it is embarrassing but at the same time I need to be completely honest and take all the advise I can get. On to Day 2....
Don't ever be embarrassed about being honest here. And don't forget these kinds of threads really do help others. They see that they are not alone. That is one thing that helps keeps me going. To know that I am not alone in this and that there are people that understand and go thru the same experiences I do. And that helps me and it helps others.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would have had 15 years worth of relapse threads, Victoria...luckily for everyone the internet wasn't around for me for a lot of that

D
Old 11-14-2013, 03:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Perfectionism is, among much else, an excuse to fail
Wow, I've never looked at it like that, I think I might be guilty of this without realizing it. Thank you for making me think.

Victoria, I agree that you don't need to be embarrassed, and I think it's good for you and for others when you open up about your experiences.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
EndGame

Perfectionism is, among much else, an excuse to fail

Originally Posted by dreamr View Post
Wow, I've never looked at it like that, I think I might be guilty of this without realizing it. Thank you for making me think.
Since perfectionism is an ideal that can never be fully achieved, it provides several opportunities to fail no matter what we do. Regularly coming up short only makes us try harder to seize control and be perfect the next time. It degrades self esteem and often ends in despair.

Aiming high in life and having to be perfect are two very different animals. Whereas one is motivating and often invigorating, the other is simply destructive.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Since perfectionism is an ideal that can never be fully achieved, it provides several opportunities to fail no matter what we do. Regularly coming up short only makes us try harder to seize control and be perfect the next time. It degrades self esteem and often ends in despair.

Aiming high in life and having to be perfect are two very different animals. Whereas one is motivating and often invigorating, the other is simply destructive.
Everything you said is the story of my life, especially the bolded part. I really needed to read that, thank you so much!