Notices

now I'm depressed, I think, but still not drinking

Old 11-12-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

now I'm depressed, I think, but still not drinking

I am 12 days in and depressed. Actually, my mood started to dip this weekend but I assumed it was because I was so tired because of a sudden headcold. Now, after today, I can tell that it is more than just fatigue from a cold. Did anyone else go through mild depression in their early sobriety? I mean, I expected to have some changes in mood, but I feel flat.

I have a depression disorder, but it is treated with meds. I wonder if all of my years of alcohol use while I was on meds really fiddled with the effectiveness of them.

And today I had a bad day at work, a stress I will combat with a marathon knitting session and some chocolate.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Anyistoomuch - I had a bit of depression during the first 3 weeks. However, while I was drinking, I suffered from constant anxiety and depression. After I stopped, the anxiety and depression lifted within 4-5 weeks. Just give it some time. Also, if you don't feel better, you may want to talk to your doc regarding your meds. Perhaps now where you are no longer self-medicating, your meds may need a bit of adjustment... Always remember, this too will pass and you will feel great after you have built momentum with the consecutive days sober!
Old 11-12-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ask your doc but this was normal for me - I went through several depression spells over the past few months.

Conceptually it makes sense - I was consuming 4L of depression juice per week and then stopped. Takes time for the body and mind to adjust to a new normal.

Try focusing on diet and reducing processed foods (if only I could take my own advice) it should help.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm also 12 days in! The first few days for me were hell, with all the emotions and feelings flooding back that I had drank to get away from. On day four I started taking the antidepressants I have been prescribed for years but never took because it made drinking very unpleasant for me. They are starting to work now, and that has been a big help. My biggest problem had been anxiety attacks, and come come at me without any warning and I can't stand it! They do go away pretty fast, but they happen often. And I've been eating a ton of candy, I feel like this huge need for sugar. But anyways, thats been my experience with quitting and taking the meds, thank you for your post, its nice to know someone is going through something similar:-)
Old 11-12-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's good advice here.

It might take a bit more time, or you might need a change or adjustment in medication.

Congratulations on 12 days sober.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Swashbuckler

Congratulations on 12 days sober

This is a great start. Good luck!!
Old 11-12-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Twelve days is pretty early in recovery. Give yourself more time to adjust to normal functioning. If it doesn't go away then see your doctor.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am 20 days in and have been pretty up and down, too - emotional about random stuff and depressed. While it's super unpleasant, it sounds like it's normal. Keep with it, 12 days is awesome.