Notices

How long before you felt confident that you would stay sober?

Old 11-12-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long before you felt confident that you would stay sober?

This is the "original" MeSoSober posting. I joined SR in March. Just don't want to hide the "real" me. Hoping to have my true identity restored soon.

I am just curious as to how long those of you with, say, 18 months or a couple of years of sobriety, at what point on that journey did you really start to believe that you were well and truly done with alcohol permanently?
That you felt reasonably confident in your permanent sobriety?

I know complacency is an incredibly dangerous thing, but surely at some point you began to feel like you had finally "succeeded."

Also curious about those who made it that far or farther and then relapsed. That thought scares the [shoot] out of me.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I felt a shift around 90 days.
I began to believe I could do this

D
Old 11-12-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

When i stopped hiding from the alcohol aisle in the supermarket and felt emotionally neutral , it held as much interest to me as the babies diapers / nappies section. I walked right past it and didn't notice …. I think that was a turning point … about 3 or 4 months .

Bestwishes, m
Old 11-12-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

4 months. My turning point ... I just know I'm done and with that comes freedom.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had five pretty easy months but still didn't feel confident that I would stay sober. I believe I can do it, but I am scared that I won't. I have a lot of resolve right now because I feel like crap recovering from a drinking binge and then weeks and months pass and I get complacent.

I didn't prioritize it and I can't ever let that happen again. I truly am so very sick and tired of feeling sick and tired.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You sound like you are 'done' to me MeSoSober.
Remember that feeling cos its the same ugly , disgusting one you are gonna feel after every single binge.
You recognise it though and you sound pretty done to me . Your words sick n tired of being sick n tired totally resonated with me.
I just new i was over it when I felt like that the last binge . Plus the REMORSE i just couldn't deal with anymore.
Good luck ... I reckon you wont need it much more though ;-) xx
Old 11-12-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

A couple of years for me, but they were ok years. xxx
Old 11-12-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

At the 5 month mark is when I no longer felt being sober was a full time job. It just was how I lived my life going forward.

That's not to say I'm cured, lets give it a go. Alcohol just rarely crosses my mind.

Best wishes
Old 11-12-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

At about 7 months, I felt the obsession finally lift. Like I wasn't always thinking about alcohol. I still have my cravings and bad days but I can walk past the alcohol section in the grocery store and not dream about a drink. I think a year is a good goal for me and then I might feel like I have this disease under control. But you always have to work on it and be vigilant.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Altho I was feeling pretty good by three or four months, I'd have to say it was at six months I began to feel confident and secure in my recovery.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnoozyQ View Post
You sound like you are 'done' to me MeSoSober.
Remember that feeling cos its the same ugly , disgusting one you are gonna feel after every single binge.
You recognise it though and you sound pretty done to me . Your words sick n tired of being sick n tired totally resonated with me.
I just new i was over it when I felt like that the last binge . Plus the REMORSE i just couldn't deal with anymore.
Good luck ... I reckon you wont need it much more though ;-) xx
Thank you so much for the words of encouragement and specifically that I sound like I'm done.

I can't wrap my brain around how I keep DOING this to myself given what I've lost and suffered. My behavior the 13 years ago has been like an insane person. I don't have much more to lose.

The whole prospect of "never again" is still daunting but looking better all the time. I am out of options if I want to live -- and have a life.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Some of you must have incredible strength. I am fortunate not to have the daily cravings some of you struggle with. I am a serious binger who goes on days-long benders and I have paid a huge price.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You are very welcome and stay close to us MeSoSober. :-)

I know all about insane . But that was then and this is now, you are not that person sober who you are drinking.
You cant change what you have lost and suffered , none of us can .

We cant get back yesterday , tomorrow's not here yet , so let's just fix you today .

I can tell through your words how much you want this.

You really are getting it together cos i know you want this.
I know you can do it. Xxxx
Old 11-12-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Everyday it is a new surrender. One day at a time. However the obsession has been lifted for several months now. I have 10 + months.

Good to see you MeSoSober!
Old 11-12-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnoozyQ View Post
You are very welcome and stay close to us MeSoSober.

I know all about insane . But that was then and this is now, you are not that person sober who you are drinking.
You cant change what you have lost and suffered , none of us can .

We cant get back yesterday , tomorrow's not here yet , so let's just fix you today .

I can tell through your words how much you want this.

You really are getting it together cos i know you want this.
I know you can do it. Xxxx
That almost made me cry. I want to hug you!
Old 11-12-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hugs received honey and given back 10 fold.;-)

You are too sweet to be lost to alcohol xxx
Old 11-12-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I started my journey on 9/2/13 and have slipped three times since then. The last time I felt so miserable and anxious that I'm hoping I make it my last. I'm definitely not feeling 100% confident and it's still a daily struggle for me but I'm hoping to make it to the point where that struggle gets easier bit by bit.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

The 3 months mark was a turning point for me.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

During my five months of sobriety, I pretty much always felt confident that I would not drink in the several weeks, but I was much less confident when thinking about the rest of my life.

I guess it's a good thing that in order to get to the rest of life I'll have to get through the next "several weeks."
Old 11-12-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

After a few months I felt myself believing I could do it, by six months I was feeling really good, at a year and now at 17 months ( actually had to count it up ) I don't think about drinking anymore and am honestly happier not doing so!
Old 11-12-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Around thirty days.