Notices

How long before you felt confident that you would stay sober?

Old 11-12-2013, 08:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm a couple of minutes away from day 78, and I am feeling really positive about doing this for the long haul. The first time I made it around 30 days and was white knuckling the whole time. I have tried to do things differently this time and it hasn't been nearly as bad as the first.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

At about 90 days the desire to drink was lifted and never returned. The world began to look a whole lot better too!
Old 11-12-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I knew just about from the beginning. I was starting to have major issues with my liver and if I didn't stop, I wasn't going to be long for this world. It took me months to quit even with a throbbing liver, but once I broke free, I knew I wasn't going back.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks to the OP for asking this question. 3 months seems to be a common turning point. I'm only about a week into this and it has been a full-time job, requiring constant mental/emotional vigilance. Definitely worth the effort, but exhausting.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

90 days for me also, though I know danger lurks all over and I must be strong!
Old 11-12-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

This is embarrassing and sad to admit, but I kinda felt my resolve weakening as the months wore on. I allowed myself to get complacent. I think I stopped making the effort to post here and help maintain my resolve.

Kinda surprised that so many here were confident that they were done for good after only a few months. I kinda feel like even with a year of sobriety, I would still be afraid of relapsing at some point in the future. I guess a year just seems like a short period of time when compared with the rest of my life.

Thanks for all the responses!!
Old 11-13-2013, 05:15 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by duane1 View Post
I knew just about from the beginning. I was starting to have major issues with my liver and if I didn't stop, I wasn't going to be long for this world. It took me months to quit even with a throbbing liver, but once I broke free, I knew I wasn't going back.
I also knew from day 1. As someone who quit for nearly 5 years (16 years ago), I knew what got me those 5 years (will power, and surrounding myself with the right people/situations), and what derailed me (false confidence). I didn't work a program during my sobriety before, I see now that was a mistake.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Recovered

9 months.

I have had periods of clean-time before (up to 5 years), but never had the feeling that it was permanent. I always felt "recovering". Not anymore. I am recovered. I keep doing the daily things that got me here and I will not engage in my addictions (yes, plural).
Old 11-13-2013, 05:24 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It took me a little over a year. My blog is the detailed story behind that.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
AA member

About a year.

I don't ever say now that I am never drinking again,I just do it a day at a time.Nobody can say for sure they are never drinking again.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Originally Posted by MeSoSober View Post
This is embarrassing and sad to admit, but I kinda felt my resolve weakening as the months wore on. I allowed myself to get complacent. I think I stopped making the effort to post here and help maintain my resolve.

Kinda surprised that so many here were confident that they were done for good after only a few months. I kinda feel like even with a year of sobriety, I would still be afraid of relapsing at some point in the future. I guess a year just seems like a short period of time when compared with the rest of my life.

Thanks for all the responses!!
Fear of relapse is still present in me even though I have confidence that I will never drink again. It's just the nature of alcoholism. If I didn't still fear that first drink, I might be in trouble.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

The obsession lifted by about the three month mark although I certainly would not say I felt "confident" that I wouldn't drink again. I just knew if I made it this far, I could keep going, almost HAD to keep going. That was also around the time I actually got fully involved in my recovery instead of watching it from the sidelines. Working the 12 Steps, coming on here and posting regularly, getting some therapy, volunteering, reading all I could on addiction, etc.

Now, at 9 months, I rarely think about drinking anymore. Sure, there are moments but they are more memories rather than "Boy, I'd love to do that again!" sort of things. I worked really hard at de-linking as many activities as I could from drinking so I could live life in a new way and NOT be reminded of it. It has worked.

But I had to put in mental, spiritual and physical work and realize that this is going to be a way of life for me from now on...and it was/is so very worth it.

Good to see ya back MeSoSober!!

Last edited by Ptcapote; 11-13-2013 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 11-13-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by duane1 View Post
Fear of relapse is still present in me even though I have confidence that I will never drink again. It's just the nature of alcoholism. If I didn't still fear that first drink, I might be in trouble.
This is so true.
I felt really good about my recovery a couple of years in. Then I would go to a meeting and learn that someone with eight plus years had relapsed. Scared the crap out of me. And when I first signed up to this place almost a year ago, I felt quite triggered in the beginning. Perhaps it was the alcohol related people in my life at the time that contributed to this.
Anyway, I never let my guard down. Too much at stake.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Only day 4 here, but I was confident the last night I drank that I would never drink again. I still crave it, but I have set my decision in stone and nothing and no one can force me to take another sip. I've tried to quit before but this is the first time I made a lifetime commitment. I don't fear relapse, I just fear not finding happiness, and I already learned that alcohol can't give me that.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I do not have cravings for alcohol as such anymore, I can at times be tempted to escape the hassle of life and alcohol is still an option in that thought.

I still need to remind me what I am doing, I sign in to the 24 hour thread every morning.

Thx. Deeker and Carlotta
Old 11-13-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

After about 1 year and 3 months...still I take it day by day
Old 11-13-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I'd say at the 3 month mark things got much better.