Notices

Some relief

Old 11-12-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some relief

As I read through comments on here I am starting to feel better in the sense that I realize I am not alone. Others have similar struggles as I do and that I am not a horrible person because I am having difficulties. I may have made some really bad decisions when I was drinking, but that doesn't make me a bad person. Just someone who needs to make changes in my life and create new and better memories.
I still think the hardest thing for me will be to let go of the past, realize I can't change what I have done, and accept that if people have chosen to no longer be a part of my life then they aren't true friends anyway.
Life changes, as I get older I will drift apart from people, but I will meet new people and expereince new things. Those who truely are dear to me and true friends to me will always be there in the end. This morning I was thinking, these people in my life I am worried about losing if I am really truely worried then why do I want them in my life anyway. I have never caused them true harm and have always been there when needed, but some people should just be let go of because they don't bring you any happiness in life. Or may only be aquantinces that I hang out with when I went out to bars or to party. I can find more meaningful people and more supportive ones to build me up not cause me more stress.

Thanks for the support, I think I will feel less anxious as time goes on and I learn how to let the past be the past.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are certainly not alone, Inhalou. Most of us here at SR have struggled with feelings of guilt, shame and regret for what happened when we were drinking. But, when you think about it, what a waste of energy that is, isn't it?

If we are strong enough to get sober, why wreck it by constantly looking backwards? Sobriety opens SO many doors, it creates SO many new opportunities for a brighter future. The last thing I want to do is re-live and re-hash the bad things that happened when I was drinking. Besides, its not like we can change what happened in the past anyway. The only way to live, it seems to me, is to keep looking forward, not backwards.

Welcome to SR. I am glad you are here with us.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome lnhlalou, i used to feel guilty about things i did when i was drinking. No one can change the past though. All we can do is keep moving forward. This is a great place for support. I'm glad you have joined us.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can't live in the past, why worry about it. Think of today instead. Today is the only day you can do anything about so make the most of it.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You're not a bad person because you have a drinking problem, but you're a better person for addressing it.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If we walk a journey with our head turned to the past we never get where we are going. Let go of past everyday you wake you get another chance to live the life you want.